Working on our 71 Devon

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to meet up with you at Grill'n'Chill and put a FACE to the name..!!! :lol: 8)

Great work on the van and it must be great to be out and about in it..!! 8)

Gwar72 said:
Good to meet up with you at Grill'n'Chill and put a FACE to the name..!!! :lol: 8)

Great work on the van and it must be great to be out and about in it..!! 8)

Thanks mate nice to meet you to and have a look at your van, could have talked interiors all day :lol:

KevH said:
gvee said:
Awesome, awesome, awesome 8) 8) 8)

Could not agree more. :D

I feel so inadequate having read this whole thread. :mrgreen:

Blimey steady on :oops: But thanks for the comment glad it was interesting enough to read all the way through :D

Not updated for a while. I have a few pics to upload but here is a couple of things that I have been up to.

Removed the Devon window and put it back in with a new seal

The dash had been badly treated so tried to fix it up a bit

gninnam said:
Great job with the dash 8) :mrgreen:

who? said:
Thanks for the comments, really pleased with how the dash turned out.

Right i'm on a roll with the updates now. Here are some (loads) of pictures of our Devon roof refurb. The strip down.

Screws were solid and had to drill every one out.

Tied the hinges up so that they wouldn't spring down as i undid the screws. Also made it easier to lift off

We are keeping the bellows, really like the original look and they are so expensive to buy!

The frame that supports the top sheet and gives it a slight radius was broken.

Sent all the hinges, bunks and hooks for shot blasting and powder coating, very pleased with the results and quite cheap.

Removed the headlining this then exposes screws holding the fibreglass surround on, once they are out it can be lifted straight off

With the frame damaged i used the outer and then bought box section to replace the cross sections which i curved myself but I went for the exact radius and i should have gone slightly over. Worked out ok though

New sheet of aluminium to mount the frame to also meant that we could lose the sky light as might help at some point getting it in the garage.

Glued vinyl to the top to make water tight and give a nice finish

Fitted new seals. Quite tough fitting the main seal where the aluminium sheet meets the outer frame but once i got this tool to put the insert in it was easy. TIP: dont do this job without this tool it makes the task so much easier.

Used a thin sponge backing and then the headlining which stretched over the frame and held in position with the u shaped rubber.

Fitted the headlining that was frustrating and quite a tricky job so didn't get many pics. Also repaired and painted the fibreglass surround. Fitted bunks back in.

Refitted the roof

Latest posts