worst job on a van

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've resorted to silcone sealer on my Dormi roof...git of a thing, but by far my worst windup was fitting crap CV boots a year before mot and three of the advisories were for CV boots...that had travelled less than a mile, just having to do them again was a pain..wet feet while doing them was a cry from god :|

67panel said:
grinding the spot welds off front arches to seatpan/innerarch,herman had a new toy and he was going to use it.i think he tryed to see how many he could squeeze in ;)

:lol: On with this at the minute so thats the one for me too.... so far

So far,, top one on my list of bugger ups and swines to do was grinding the welds in the gutters after fitting new /ish roof panel. Made my arms ache for at least a decade :lol: All the other cock ups that I had to do twice were just down to my own stupidity :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I`ve got stupidity down to a fine art :roll: :lol: ;)

89Rallye said:
67panel said:
grinding the spot welds off front arches to seatpan/innerarch,herman had a new toy and he was going to use it.i think he tryed to see how many he could squeeze in ;)

This is what I do as the quickest neatest way.
Cut part through them accurately in a line with cutting disc from below. Go over them again with a thicker grinding disc, again from below - the grinding disc will follow the line you part cut with the cutting disc. You can tell when you're nearly through the arch layer as the thin metal will turn blue with the heat. The arch will fall off leaving the tub untouched so you can spot weld it like the original if you have or can borrow a spot welder. Alternatively you can plug weld and choose how many welds to drill for. If you drill them all out, apart from there being thousands of them, your arch will look like a "tear along the dotted line" thing.

ZedBed said:
89Rallye said:
67panel said:

This is what I do as the quickest neatest way.
Cut part through them accurately in a line with cutting disc from below. Go over them again with a thicker grinding disc, again from below - the grinding disc will follow the line you part cut with the cutting disc. You can tell when you're nearly through the arch layer as the thin metal will turn blue with the heat. The arch will fall off leaving the tub untouched so you can spot weld it like the original if you have or can borrow a spot welder. Alternatively you can plug weld and choose how many welds to drill for. If you drill them all out, apart from there being thousands of them, your arch will look like a "tear along the dotted line" thing.

Thanks for that, it was going to be my next line of attack as after drilling them all out with a proper cutter it doesnt seperate perfectly so you still need to use a chisel which is damaging the tub anyway... so next plan was just to grind them off as there isnt much left now anyway.

But will defo try your method on the other side once we get there..

Oh and I have a spot welder, second favorite tool with a plasma cutter being number one :)

Worst job...

1. Fitting aftermarket parts that were to all intents and purposes designed 'from a vague memory' of an engineering drawing. They never fit correctly and you spend an age shaving a bit off here and there to get it on and then find it only works to 75% of the original....and costs twice as much to boot.

2. Taking the van for an MOT, cause I know the bleeder is gonna fail it and especially since I've just spent a wad on a pile of clobber to get me through. I'm sure he's got it in for me cos he'll find the most innocuous reason......this time it was Helphos lamp needs to come off as it is 'restricting drivers view' :? as if...what about the fog that was restricting my view touring IoW recently and the Helphos switched on to assist?? Soon as I got it back it was back on...twerp. I know he's going to fail me on the horn next time so just to give him a jolt I'm gonna fit a pair of juggernaut trumpets just 'for his pleasure'

3. Fitting the right hand exhaust collar on an Ernst type which is obscured by the rear cross member and dropping the nut I don't know how many times cos you just can't get your finger in to hold it and turn at the same time to engage a thread whilst being unable to see the thing , must have spent over an hour just on that escapade.

4 Testing brake lights on your own.

Mark Space-Ratio said:
Worst job...

3. Fitting the right hand exhaust collar on an Ernst type which is obscured by the rear cross member and dropping the nut I don't know how many times cos you just can't get your finger in to hold it and turn at the same time to engage a thread whilst being unable to see the thing , must have spent over an hour just on that escapade.

4 Testing brake lights on your own.
Use a block off wood and wedge it in i find helps.

Agree with the exhaust jobby too nightmare as was doing the same job whilst lazerdog was doing his best to help ,well not really kept nicking my tools.

Oh and on the same job had to refit rear bumper,sounds easy you cry.....no. S eeing as its a splitty rear bumper the four bolts slide through a bracket and not the bumper
1 HANG BUMPER BY GRAVITY ON REAR IRONS
2 LAY UNDER BUMPER WITH TOOLS AND BOLTS TOO HAND
3 MANIPULATE HANDS LIKE HUDINI TO GET AT BOLT HOLE
4 TELL DOG TO GET THE FUCK OFF MY CHEST, IM BUSY
5 DOG FUCKS OFF, HITS HIS HEAD ON BUMPER,
6 BUMPER FALLS OFF IRONS LANDS ON ME.
7 DOG LOOKS AT ME LIKE I AM A USELESS BASTARD AND THE WALKS OFF WITH RACHET HANDLE IN TEETH
8 RUN VAN WITH NO REAR BUMPER FOR A MONTH.

PS BUMPER NOW FITTED WITH THREE BOLTS AS NEVER DID FIND THE OTHER.

john the horse and his magical mechanical wizard lazerdog. :D

4 TELL DOG TO GET THE FUCK OFF MY CHEST, IM BUSY

Oh how I remember those days!! My late great Staffie "Boz" was a demon for waiting for me to be just at some critical point led under the car then diving under and giving my face a wash!!!

My mate's family had a farm and I use to work on my motor up there. They had a collie who use to make a good pillow when you were led under the car. Problem was he was nearly always covered in cow shit :shock:

Latest posts