Would you buy a bus that had been in an accident?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyJuckes

Reaction score
Hi, I've seen this bus that looks promising BUT they are admittedly selling it due to it having been in an accident. All photos are present and description of damage. Would it be safe to buy a bus that had been in an accident and get the repairs carried out by a reputable restoration/repair company or would you guys not touch it?? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, newbie here;)

depends on had bad the damage is. Good accident repair would be be no different from heavy restoration work, ie new front clips, new roof, chassis replacements.

just make sure whoever does it are as good as they say

Erm, would you buy a tin or beans from a supermarket if it had a small dent in (yes), it is was squashed and the beans spilt in the floor (no, well unless it was a tin of Barndoor Samba beans) :msn4:

Post up a picture, provided it is repaired well then no worried, think about all the new metal that gets put into restoration projects, often more of a worry.....

I would for all the reasons above and! it will never be in an accident again, its a bit like cats have 9 lives (not really) busses only have one accident (or a few small ones) then they are exempt for life. My bus caught fire and by the law of averages it will never catch fire again :D

.... touch wood

I wonder how many buses have never been in an accident :?: In a vehicle of this age it wouldnt bother me, Ive seen buses that have been 'restored' that I wouldnt buy, but thats another story.........

Thanks for your advice. I know it probably seems like a really stupid question but being no mechanic I just thought I'd ask, feel a bit stupid now so I'll just slope off and hide under the stairs :oops:

DaisyJuckes said:
Thanks for your advice. I know it probably seems like a really stupid question but being no mechanic I just thought I'd ask, feel a bit stupid now so I'll just slope off and hide under the stairs :oops:

No need mate 8) I think the answer is that if its solid and looks straight enough then it proabably is, chassis rails are visible from undernear and are a good sign of accident damage, but buses are solid beasts and its all repairable :D just look for lots of filler covering rust..........even then if the price is right ths isnt a problem if you have the skills to do it yourself or deep pockets

DaisyJuckes said:

not a silly question at all. Before I bought a bus I would not touch anything that had been in a ding. Then seeing some resto work over the years it wouldn't bother me now

The only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked ;)

I'd buy a dinged up bus. But I would use it as leverage when haggling :lol:

There are lots of vehicles out there to choose from, take your time and dont buy the first bus you see. The more Buses you look at the more you will learn and know what to look for. Do your homework, research and ask questions [ ahh youve started that ].
Would i buy a Bus with accident damage ? It would depend on HOW BAD the damage is, Light panel damage...no problem..Bent chasis....whats the point when theres plenty of other buses out there.... :?
Good hunting and enjoy the journey :D

When my car went in to have some work done it transpired it had been in a bit of a knock. Nothing huge by the looks of it, if I was to take a guess I would say someone had drivin into the side of it. But it is straight now. Plus, really, 43 years old and not dinged?

I doubt that, lets face it they have all been driven by stoned hippies :)

To answer the question directly, yes I would. Not many buses have not had dings and there are some cracking repairers out there if, like me, the work is beyond you. Yet before I had my bus, I'd run a mile at the prospect of a dinged vehicle.

To answer your question indirectly, bear in mind that this is the time of year when it becomes more of a seller's market, when demand is highest. OK, demand may be weaker than say three years ago, but you'll have a wider choice and better bargaining position come September/October. Busfest is a good place to pick up a good deal IMHO.

Good luck.

I just bought a 70 Crew Cab that has been damaged on the front completely. The last owner had somebody welded a replacement but didn't do a good job. It is a lot of work and I'm planning to DIY everything. Luckily I have a TIG welder and I kinda know how to use it (I'm an industrial mechanic and welding stuff is part of my job). I also restored a 72 Type 181 before and did everything myself in an apartment garage :msn4: . My advise to you is buy it as long as you think it's a good deal. I still can't believe how much I paid for my Crew Cab. Because it was a STEAL! :D :D :D . That's a good car to learn with. You can work on it and when you mess up, no big deal. You're not gonna weld or work on a car that looks like brand new, right?

Latest posts