009 change over to svda powerspark

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pottinger

Reaction score
okay, thought i may aswell change the old 009 dissy (it had seen better days) to a new
svda (a powerspark elec ignition 034 bosch)

So, looking straight down the bus my old 009 dissy had the rotor arm pointing at 5 o clock for No 1 TDC.
The new one points at approx 1 to 2 o clockish when you install it.

Do I now just install the leads anti clockwise one position keeping the order of 1 4 3 2

therefore making
position cylinder
2 o clock 1
5 o clock 4
8 o clock 3
11 o clock 2

then time it to 24 degree @ 3500 or 30 degree @ 3000 job done

OR is there more to it than that :roll: :?

a dissy potts :lol:

sounds good to me ,of to pack the bus for a week end of drag racing 8) 8) 8) helping with 2 nostalgia dragsters and daughters beetle and the outlaw flat 4 s are there.

hey guys, can i ask,

firstly, do i tell the mechanic to set the timing without the vac pipe attached and to 30 degree @ 3000 rpm, whats the btdc/atdc stuff ??

any helps appreciated fellas as i dont wanna look a chump when he comes round this evening :? :oops:

cheers
an almost finished potts

7.5 before top dead centre ,static then check it running without vac ,should still be 7.5.then see what it is at 3000.thats if he has a deccent strob :msn4:

67panel said:
7.5 before top dead centre ,static then check it running without vac ,should still be 7.5.then see what it is at 3000.thats if he has a deccent strob :msn4:

oh thats me confused more, i thought with vac dissy you just did to 30 @ 3000 as the static is less important or takes care of itself from the 30@3000 :?

typical post by me :lol:

a more dissy potts :lol:

setting static or at idle should put advance correct at 3000,check at those revs is to see if dizzy is working correctly.vac advance only(or should only)work on light load when you have high vac in manafold ,its a fuel economy device ;) so if it works at idle the mechanical advance will be set retarded resulting in lack of go,you check mechanical advance with vac disconected and the conect it up and recheck to see how much vac advance you are getting,look in your haynes ect it will tell you.

http://www.vw-resource.com/tune-up.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this should help answer your dilema.. :mrgreen:

Found this for you

Timing Set At:

30-32° BTDC @ 3,500+ RPM, vacuum hose disconnected and plugged. Use stroboscopic timing light.
Timing should not exceed 42-44° BTDC @ 3,500+ RPM (full advance) with vacuum hose connected, no load on engine.

Latest posts