1300 Twin Port to 1600 Twin Port

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raggles

Reaction score
I am considering having a go at an engine re-build.

If I have a 1300 Twin Port I have read that this can be simply upgraded to a 1600 by using the appropriate barrels and pistons.

Will the heads also need changing or can the 1300 heads be used? ... the valves I believe are the same size on both?

Also is there any real benefit going up to 1641 if everything else is stock?

Thanks

Tim

the heads will need changing or cutting out to size of 1600 barrels.

also check the history of the 1300, is it originally a twinport? or does it only have single oil pressure relief value and non doghouse cooler etc

the first 1600 in my bus was a New Zealand bodged upgrade from a 1300 singleport, it didn't last long!

weeboll said:

also check the history of the 1300, is it originally a twinport? or does it only have single oil pressure relief value and non doghouse cooler etc

the first 1600 in my bus was a New Zealand bodged upgrade from a 1300 singleport, it didn't last long!

Thanks Weeboll.

Looks like complete top end re-build kit then!

This project .... if I go for it .... will be a learning experience rather than vital for my van at the moment. The engine I believe is an original 1300 twin port complete with dual relief case and dog house fan shroud.

Regards

Tim

If the 1300 heads have the later large valves and the heads are good VW? It probably best to have them cut than get some inferior new heads? I've read somewhere that if the heads havent cracked after first 1500 miles then they are not likely to? Plus I would have thought cheaper than new heads.

weeboll said:

The first stock engines were 1600 single ports... There's not a huge amount wrong with the engine as long as the ancillaries are in good order and the engine is tuned properly.

The first stock engines were 1600 single ports... There's not a huge amount wrong with the engine as long as the ancillaries are in good order and the engine is tuned properly.

yes but I assumed on a dual relief case although having used googled, apparently not neccesarily if 1969 but mines a 7/70..

Latest posts