15" Wheel question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_B

Reaction score
I've tried searching the forum, but to be honest with my limited knowledge I'm getting more confused!

I want to replace my 14" wheels with 15's. Wanting to keep an original look so I'm looking at the 356 replicas from Midalnd Wheels - they have an offset of ET25 - is that good?

What would the recommended tyre combination be? Ideally the van will be lowered 3.5 on dropped spindles on the front and probably 1 spline on the back.

Thanks

An alternative is a set of split wheels. I just baught these for mine(15's).
I think theyre known as Crows feet wheels but not sure.
oct09022.jpg

Had these (there are 4) shotblasted as soon as i got them.
The wheels were 100 quid for 4 but ive heard that there are cheaper sets about sometimes.
Shotblasting was 15 quid per wheel.
My vans lowerd at the front by about 3 1/2 and 1 spline at the rear. But i dont know how itl look as i havnt tried em on yet.

You copying me by the way? :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rich

Hoosier said:
An alternative is a set of split wheels. I just baught these for mine(15's).
I think theyre known as Crows feet wheels but not sure.

Had these (there are 4) shotblasted as soon as i got them.
The wheels were 100 quid for 4 but ive heard that there are cheaper sets about sometimes.
Shotblasting was 15 quid per wheel.
My vans lowerd at the front by about 3 1/2 and 1 spline at the rear. But i dont know how itl look as i havnt tried em on yet.

You copying me by the way? :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rich

Yep have looked at the Splitty wheels, but have struggled to find any - where did you find yours? Also what width are they?

Copying you? No - just have good taste too :)

This is the crows foot wheel that people seek....

crowsfoot.jpg

the 15s that Hoosier has should be easy enough to get your mitts on speak to any of the dealers put an add on the ssvc

Matt_B said:
I've tried searching the forum, but to be honest with my limited knowledge I'm getting more confused!

I want to replace my 14" wheels with 15's. Wanting to keep an original look so I'm looking at the 356 replicas from Midalnd Wheels - they have an offset of ET25 - is that good?

What would the recommended tyre combination be? Ideally the van will be lowered 3.5 on dropped spindles on the front and probably 1 spline on the back.

Thanks

I've got 356 steels on my westy, although they are a really nice looking rim, i'm worried that they will cause clearance issues due to the major offset of the rim when i lower it, which will be about 5 inch at the front and 3 at the back, i'm looking for a set of 15 inch split steels too because i know they will fit in the arches

Westy Richardson said:
I've got 356 steels on my westy, although they are a really nice looking rim, i'm worried that they will cause clearance issues due to the major offset of the rim when i lower it, which will be about 5 inch at the front and 3 at the back, i'm looking for a set of 15 inch split steels too because i know they will fit in the arches

What width 356's have you got? Is an offset of ET25 a lot?

Any idea what the original rims were/are ?

I think the 15" split steels are quite a popular for us lot, i've been keeping an eye out for some. Anyone know will the crome domes from my stock 14" fit the 15"?

Matt_B said:
Westy Richardson said:

What width 356's have you got? Is an offset of ET25 a lot?

Any idea what the original rims were/are ?

Dunno off the top of my head, i'll have a look

Matt_B said:
mattd1984 said:
Anyone know will the crome domes from my stock 14" fit the 15"?

Yes I believe they do.

Yep they do fit, you'll find they are a different style, the VW logo is raised on the hubcap.

15" steels are the way to go :mrgreen:

They look much much better than the weedy little 14's.

Des

Think I'm gonna stick these on my bus and see how they look as my 54s not going anywhere soon...

3LMjwp7Inp1vnub1TIdkj6ppo1_500.jpg

:mrgreen:

Matt_B said:

Thanks
Ive got 15" 356 rims (5.5" wide) on mine, running 185.60 at the front and 185/65 at the rear. Lowered 1 spline at the rear and approx 3" at the front ( red 9 kit). Been fully loaded on holiday, no problems
Picture581.jpg

uber cool said:
Matt_B said:

Thanks
Ive got 15" 356 rims (5.5" wide) on mine, running 185.60 at the front and 185/65 at the rear. Lowered 1 spline at the rear and approx 3" at the front ( red 9 kit). Been fully loaded on holiday, no problems
Picture581.jpg

That's the look I'm after :)

What colour is your Bay?

froggy said:
Your all lucky sods, i have to contend with narrow 5's AND 14" if i want to stay on steel :evil: :evil: :lol:
Hi froggy
67 BAY has 15 inch steels on his bus,Audi I think.I like the look of 15s with hubcaps but also have the 5x112 stud pattern:( .Wonder if any of the early merc steels came in 15s,you can buy clips that pop rivet on the wheel to hold the caps on its just finding the right ones.Once you've found the wheels

Can some one tell me what the original tyre size is on an early bay? I'd like to work out the rolling circumference for when I upgrade to 15" wheels

Thank-you :)

On my 14" 112PCD the tyres as standard are 185 / 14 commercials but i think they are the equivilant of 185/80/14 (they are actually 185/82/14 but 80 profile is the closest you can get)

froggy said:
On my 14" 112PCD the tyres as standard are 185 / 14 commercials but i think they are the equivilant of 185/80/14 (they are actually 185/82/14 but 80 profile is the closest you can get)

Thanks Froggy,

it makes it quite difficult to find a rear tyre then that keeps the same rolling circumference - or am i being dumb?

Latest posts