1776 engine build

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dly49

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if you guys may be able to give me some advise I've rebuilt engines before but never went down the route of increasing the size. I have a standard 1600 unit in my bay which is completely rebuilt ( standard) with 3k on it.i just want slightly a bit more power ( enough to sit at 65-70 ) Can I add only 90.5 barrels and pistons and leave everything else stock ? ( obviously there's machining to be done ) will this give me any increased power or is it just wasting time? I am on a very tight budget.

Comments would be appreciated cheers

First things first, more power may well get you to your desired engine speed quicker, but it will still be revving just as hard as the standard 1600, so overheating may still be an issue.

Are you on the standard gearbox still?

What size wheels/tyres are you running? You may find fitting larger taller profile rears will change the gearing to allow you to sit at your desired speed without having to rebuild the engine.

My stock SP 1600cc allowed my bus to sit at 65mph quite comfortably even with a full load. Ok it would slow a bit for the hills.

My rears are 195/65/15's

J.

It's all in the combo, big jugs ,(call it 'Snowballing') needs fuel so step up the cam so the valves stay open a little longer so it will be fed,and carbs to feed it,a decent Header so it can breath,, 26mm oil pump so it gets enough oil and do Full Flow it with a Filter add a deep sump,,, an if? the oil runs hot u can add a oil cooler too,,, 8)

Cheers, I have a standard box. I'm lowered 2 splines on the back levelling to the front tyre wise I'm on 185/55/r15 on the front and 185/65/r15 on the back

I've recently insralled a 1776cc engine and it makes a big difference. Lot's more power and torque. But like the guys above said, it will still rev highly at higher speeds and i've had to go through everything like MadMike says. It all adds up.

Ditto to the above. Getting the most out of a 1776cc engine means improved carburation, cam lift and duration, oil flow, gas flow etc. etc. You're going to have to split the case anyway to do the machining so may as well sort the cam out while you're there. Bigger bucks for this though.

Biggest you can go on a tighter budget is 1641cc. No machining needed but barrel walls are thinner. Had a chat with John Maher about 1641cc in a bus and with improved oil cooling and cam, he said it should be OK. Just stay away from the 1678cc barrels which are far too thin.

Latest posts