1968 Campervan conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so... here I'm again :mrgreen:

After several years, we started the paint job once more.
The fitst task was to push the bus inside Hugo's shop... but when we were half way, it started raining... and it was the only time it rained during that weekend...what a shity coincidence :evil:

IMG_0829.jpg

so much rain could only end badly:

IMG_0831.jpg

... and Hugo was laughing like a mad. He even went to pick something that was missing: car shampoo!

IMG_0832.jpg

Well, after so much rain and after a couple of hours of cleaning and drying, the preparation for tyhe paint job began.
First we started sanding all the bus exterior.. and this is André, a friend and a professional painter:

IMG_0834.jpg

while André was sanding the exterior, I was still drying the bus... and Hugo was taking pictures:

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

and even after a while, there was still a lot of water to be dried:

IMG_0842.jpg

... therefore my urge to dry it:

IMG_0841.jpg

.... meanwhile, André was still sanding it:

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

and after sanding the Tie-coat, this is how the bus was looking:

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

... and this vaccum cleaner is a very handy tool. No more dust floating around the shop:

IMG_0847.jpg

After André sanded all the exterior with his electrical sanding machine, we started sanding it manually:

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

manual sanding can have a negative side.

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

Although they're are very small, this kind of wounds hurts like hell.

So, after we sanded all the exterior...

IMG_0863.jpg

... André decided to paint it with a two component primer. But firts, he cleaned all the surface:

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

... and then he started painting:

IMG_0867.jpg

André in action:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7wMNOUZtOM&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZX2fL7pgIw[/youtube]

... and yes... it's really Hugo passing by!
8)

After this acrylic primer, André started to apply some putty since my panels aren't as straight as they should be:

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

and while André was applying the putty, Hugo was watching... and how dandy he was! :lol:

IMG_0877.jpg

So... here I'm again. :mrgreen:
While André was sanding, some rusty areas appeared. They were beneath the Por-15 paint and already there. Hugo and Andre were scared with them and they tried to change my mind about removing all of the Por-15 paint:

IMG_0906.jpg

But I decided to go on with the work (another bad decision):

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

... and while I still thought that it could work (but André was already convinced that we should take it all off :| )

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

... and in the beginning of April this was the scenario here: fire-fighters helicopters flying over us constantly :evil:

IMG_0927.jpg

meanwhile André ended the sanding task and started spraying the bus with an epoxy primer:

IMG_0928.jpg

and all was going well until this epoxy primer started reacting with the tie-coat primer from Por-15 as the first one did. André was already afraid that this epoxy primer was also going to react but I told him to proceed anyway... :roll:

IMG_0871.jpg

:?

Oh dear that doesent look good!

I think you need a sealer coat between the two types of paint normally.

Unfortunately, to be safe, all the new paint will have to come off since even the parts that have not reacted yet may do so over time I think.

Hello Trikky2...

Yes it didn't look good so we had just one option: to remove it all... :mrgreen:

I finnaly followed André and Hugo advices and we started removing it all.

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

and we tried some paint remover but the epoxy primer was fighting us....

IMG_0940.jpg

... so André decided to use another method:

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

and here, doing some "freestyle"... :mrgreen: ... One Hand Grinder:
(crazy :shock: )

IMG_0943.jpg

... untill he brought the bus to this state again:

IMG_0944.jpg

..and we kept advancing in this task:

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

... and while we were sanding the exterior, Hugo was joking and laughing while seeing us doing this tedious task:

IMG_0947.jpg
~

(POR-15 is great. Thank you!) ... it's like a "I told you so!" :mrgreen:

IMG_0948.jpg

... and while Hugo was enjoying taking picture and writing signs, we kept sanding it....

IMG_0949.jpg

Latest posts