1968 Campervan conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other task that I needed to do: paint some parts of the suspension that I'm going to use... and some spares I've in stock

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

A week later, Hugo started working on my cabin doors. After some sandblasting, they were both looking like this:

009.jpg

These are some pictures of what Hugo and André did to one of my cabin doors. Because the originals ones where completely rotten, Hugo decided to use the ones from the blue bus (the same from where we took the entire roof section). They get the chance of living a second life in a different bus :mrgreen: .
After some sandblasting, one of them was like this:

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

André had is first experience in this exciting task that's sandblasting :mrgreen:
Of course that, after some minutes doing this much exciting task, he regreted the day he accepted to work on my bus :mrgreen:

016.jpg

... and finaly, it was time to remove the outer skin:

017.jpg

... and to be replaced with these ones, that I bought a couple of years ago:

018.jpg

After a couple of years, it was time to finaly use the front doors outer skins:

018.jpg

... and Hugo taking some measurements :mrgreen: :

019.jpg

020.jpg

The front door without the outer panel:

021.jpg

... and a lot of rust beneath it:

022.jpg

How it was, once removed:

023.jpg

024.jpg

but Hugo wasn't afraid with what had to be done. This is what he did to put them like new.
First, he made a small mold:

026.jpg

... and after, he made a larger replacement part:

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

and so, to remove all rust from these areas, André went to Hugo's private desert to play with sand a bit more :mrgreen:

033.jpg

After, André started preparing the new outer skins:

035.jpg

036.jpg

... and while Hugo was working on one front door, André started working on the rear hatch:

037.jpg

a couple of weeks later, I went back there, to do some other tasks I wanted.
One of them, was to drill all necessary holes and weld the brackets for the rear safari window, since André was already preparing the rear hatch for the paint job and I didn't want to mess all his hard work.

After taking some measurements and making all the needed markings, we began drilling the first holes and trying them just to be sure all was correct:

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

and since I was in here, near the poptop, I decided to get back to it.

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

Next day, I asked for André's help. With him, we almost finished it (at least, from the outside) :mrgreen: :

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

After a lot of sanding, André applied some primer over it:

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

In the end, it looks good although it's not finished. There is still some sanding to do and the surface has some small pores that we need to treat.
The skylight is a most necessary acessorie if you plan cooking inside the bus like I do. My mom always did our meals (specially dinners since our lunch was always some sandwichs :mrgreen: ) for all five of us :mrgreen:

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

The engine lid, finaly saw the light again. After 5 years, it will be sanded and receive the new paint. But first I had to disassemble all locks and other small parts...

IMG_1384.jpg

... and with some other parts, I took them all to Hugo's bodyshop:

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

Meanwhile the bus is almost ready on the outside:

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

Since this bus is at Hugo's bodyshop, it has been visited by several animals... for instance a couple of birds that made their nest and now a flies killing machine :mrgreen: :

IMG_1389.jpg

Regarding the bus, the cabin door is almost done. If it was looking like this....

027.jpg

... it's now like this:

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

awsome!
;)

meanwhile, the interior of my new doors outer skin where already primed:

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

...and since I was already there, Hugo decided to remove the skin from the other door so I could clean it:

IMG_1395.jpg

... and you need to have a lot of patience to cut all the welding spots:

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

Latest posts