1968 Dormobile on the road again.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

our bus 68

Reaction score
Thought you might like to see some pics of my bus. I bought her last year from a guy who had stripped her down to restore but never got any further.

She has been off the road for over eight years in this stripped down state.

when I bought her she was mainly in boxes, with parts not labelled and every nut, bolt, washer etc thrown in together! this has been one hell of a puzzle especially as this is the first VW I have owned.

She runs like a dream with her replacement 1600 twin port engine.

0608.06longleat036.jpg

Christmas2006-May2007256.jpg

Christmas2006-May2007255.jpg

Christmas2006-May2007257.jpg

Christmas2006-May2007362.jpg

Christmas2006-May2007260.jpg

0608.06longleat027.jpg

0608.06longleat031.jpg

Christmas2006-May2007363.jpg

Will down load more pics as i get them .

hey dood and welcome! cant see any pics of you bus???

Good to here a good restoration tho, another quality earlbay back on the road. 8)

Nice! Are you doing the resto work yourself? I have '68 tintop, same colour scheme.

Heres a link to some photos of mine... http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z282/boat_builder/?start=all

Hello i have a domobile roof to, they are def the best looking roof.
i wish i still had the interior like yours though.
good luck with the bus mate.

Thanks for the compliments with my bus. Sadly I have had to ask for help with the welding and a few other bits. The next big step will be getting her resprayed back to her original 'lotus white'.

I am really pleased to have ended up with a dormobile and think they are one of the best pops too. Can't believe how much light they let in as well. It's like having a full length sun roof without the breeze!!

Some of the gems that came with this bus was the full service history, original sales brochure, operators instruction booklet all contained in the original dormobile wallet.

The garage where she was first bought still survives today as a VW dealers. I am hoping to get her finished before her 40th birthday next year and take her back there for a photo shoot on her birthday.

Hope to get some more pictures up soon.

Does anyone know when the bay dormobile was launched?

The previous owner told me as far as he knew this was one of the oldest dormobiles around. Does anyone have an older one? it would be great to hear from you.

It was registered July 1st 68. chassis no:238147288.

Rob

I have finally got round to putting some more pics up of my bus.
Unfotunately I Taken some earlier progress pics on my mobile and at present can't find disc to transfer them over.
This is it so far.......
MOT'd at last and now in full time use.

Beetle and Kombi Night on Poole Quay

summer07335.jpg

summer07337.jpg

Out and about and ready for Vanfest 2007 !!!!

summer07338.jpg

summer07339.jpg

summer07340.jpg

summer07341.jpg

summer07342.jpg

Pictures coming soon of our first VanFest experience!!....... We hope.

[/img]

Yet another Dormobile on the road - good work and it doesn't matter
who does the welding etc so long as it's saved (in my opinion).

Hope to see the VF pics soon. :D

Yes they are post 68 wiper arms. Unfortunately they came with all the boxes of bits. Will get the correct ones later after the rest of the work is completed.

I'm slowly finding out just how many different parts are '68 only'. Makes looking for spares even more interesting.

Yeah I think the spindles are different as well.......the different door handles are a bit of a pain for me right now, they all had different keys to start with, but now one of them has fallen apart (the barrel fell out). Haven't a clue how to fix it. It would be nice to have one key to fit all the locks!

I have the same problem too with door locks. Passenger one has fallen apart beyond repair.

Custom & Commercial do lock rebuilding which may be the route I take eventually, or a new pair of handles could be on the cards. (they do the push button ones too).

gninnam said:
Yet another Dormobile on the road - good work and it doesn't matter
who does the welding etc so long as it's saved (in my opinion).

Hope to see the VF pics soon. :D

agree with gninnam about the welding, but hope you are not using the little guy with the shorts and goggles in the earlier pic !!!!

Yeah, I find these 5 year olds make great welders. They can get into the areas where us adults can't reach !!! :lol:

Haven't done alot to my bus recently apart from driving her. Unfortunately forgot to take any pics of our VanFest experience, but heres our ride showing off one little bit of 'Bling'!!! we bought up there... Now she looks complete !

vw001.jpg

the next few months will give me a chance to finish the body work and hopefully have her sprayed up.

Latest posts