1969 Early Bay - brake system revamp - do I need these?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saercoed

Reaction score
cd91b64d93172bef700e7461662d6902.jpg

Just going to order new copper brake pipes and male/female connections and a three way joint for the rear where the single pipe from the master cylinder splits to go t the two rear wheels.

I went under the van to check and spotted these two three way connections just the other side of the Master cylinder and they seem t have some form of sender screwed into them. Do I need to order two of these as well?

Just a guess, but it looks like these may be there just to join the pipes together, possibly after the removal of the load compensator?

[Edit] No, second thoughts, too many pipes for that.

f55fcc1fca2b38fc2dcd36b1e8b3a9ec.jpg

Just found this - so it looks as if it is supposed to be like this!

I have been researching the braking system myself to rebuild it.

I found this thread: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37060&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They seem to suggest that the brake light switches (two wires in series) cannot fit to the master cylinder on a RHD bay due to the chassis design, so they have been moved back by the factory behind the master cylinder.

I have also read that brake switches will fit with not problems straight into the master cylinder on a RHD, so the reason for many buses having that setup is not clear.

My 68 has the same...they are the brake light switches.
Interestingly mine are wired in parallel I.e if either one detects pressure then your brake lights come on.

Don't appear to cause any issues

Si

fb153cfa8cc912576379b1dd4a1b415c.jpg

Not much room to fit them on the master cylinder on mine. So will have to fit it as it was - do I need to buy two new "t" junctions or can I reuse these?

Saercoed said:
f55fcc1fca2b38fc2dcd36b1e8b3a9ec.jpg

Just found this - so it looks as if it is supposed to be like this!

Good spot! Never seen those before. Mines a RHD too, a '71. Looks like this is a '68 only fit.

Saercoed said:
fb153cfa8cc912576379b1dd4a1b415c.jpg
Not much room to fit them on the master cylinder on mine. So will have to fit it as it was - do I need to buy two new "t" junctions or can I reuse these?

If you are redoing your brake system, then fit new. No worries about anything then. I always fit a complete new brake system on all my restorations for peace of mind.

Thanks. Do I also need to redo from the end of the copper pipe to the individual wheels?

Do the lot mate. Rigids, flexis, shoes, cylinders and drums too. 2 tons of van takes a lot of stopping, best with all new parts IMO.

Latest posts