1970 Devon Tintop

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James26

Reaction score
Had my van a while now but eventually got some space to work on it properly, So thought I'd better start a project page.

Been after a van for few years now, so I had saved over quite a while then eventually sold my car to make up the rest, the plan was to buy a van that was running, Mot'd, hadn't been tampered with before (suppose that was a bit optimistic :lol: ).

Anyway, here's what I ended up buying.... Miles off what I had imagined owning but we will get there :roll:

At first I thought it appeared to be relatively solid, but after a bit of time spent picking at filler, I'm just going to assume the worst lol, here is the rear right end after some work. The more filler I seen the more I got carried away with trying to get it off :lol:

So took some of it back to bare metal and I'l only go so far up with the removal of the paint once theres hardly any filler under the paint, just a bit worried it's covering something that I miss. There also appears to be a whole host of welding repairs done underneath the van as well, I'm no welder myself so not sure on the quality of the work but I'l get some photo's up once I've got it on axle stands to see what everyone thinks. I do plan to do all of the work myself and so all help/criticism welcome.

Cheers,
James

Also took out the front window to have a look there, not as bad as I was expecting...

its a good start! the top half looks good.. just hope the same guy who went mad on the bodyfiller didnt do the welding :shock: :shock:

thanks mate, aye there's some pretty wonky repairs. slow progress at the moment as I've been building shelves to store all the bits and pieces, never realised how much space I was going to need.

on a side note, I started trying to take the engine out and I've been following the Bentley manual, it says remove to remove the two upper engine mounting bolts. anyone able to point out to me where these are ? I can't seem to find them anywhere :?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

eventually found these upper bolts, although I only had one nut at 15mm on the right hand side and the other has this....
d54473ef3e4b2b374408cd3b2d842cb4.jpg

which isn't even a nut? I presumed maybe it was just part of the casing but I've tried to pull the engine out and won't budge. I've removed all the other bolts/parts as per the Bentley manual.

Any Ideas ? Scared to keep pulling at it incase i damage something.

Think you might have to get back underneath your van to find a bolt 17mm or 19mm can't remember size you will need to remove I might be wrong but can take a photo of mine tomorrow.

il need to have another look next time I'm there, cheers. there should only be 4 to remove from the engine shouldn't there? 2 from the back and 2 from the front?

cheers guys that's it all out now appreciate it

c8d91441b75e51d801db79cd82a2b7d7.jpg

Latest posts