1970 Dormobile - First ever attempt at a resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher

Reaction score
Posted on Volkszone, but thought I'd pop it up on here as well.

After looking at a lot of the resto projects undertaken by others on here and Volkszone I've finally decided to bite the bullet and have a go at doing the resto myself. Now this has been a big decision for me as I have never attempted welding before and have never exactly been that good at car mechanics in the past! Still, the desire to save a great deal of money has outweighed my fears of completely cocking this up :lol:

So, after managing to find a decent space to work in for the huge sum of £30 per month, my girlfriend and I last night began the process of stripping the van back to the shell.

Now remember as this thread goes on that I am a complete novice so any advice will be greatly appreciated. If you spot a complete cock up, feel free to shout....though please refrain from taking the piss!!

Here's what we started with and where we're up to so far:

SD531695.jpg

SD531696.jpg

SD531698.jpg

SD531699.jpg

SD531707.jpg

SD531704.jpg

SD531710.jpg

SD531719.jpg

SD531720.jpg

Good luck with the resto and good choice with the Dormy :wink:

Good luck with the resto, I too am doing a 1970 Dormy, have a thread on here somewhere. Progress is slow but loving every minute.

Thank for the replies all.

So here's a few more pics after having spent yesterday stripping everything out and seeing what we have to play with.

Quite surpised with the condition of the floor, only some surface rust to sort out and a few patches here and there

SD531750.jpg

SD531728.jpg

The deck cleaned up quite nicely:

SD531749.jpg

Bit more to sort on the rear arches:

SD531726.jpg

SD531727.jpg

The window frames, particuarly round the front screen where in places the filler is at least a centimetre thick

SD531740.jpg

SD531741.jpg

SD531751.jpg

SD531752.jpg

And then a few holes here and there that had been hidden with filler:

SD531743.jpg

SD531746.jpg

SD531744.jpg

One of the sills:

SD531732.jpg

And here we have how he stands now, all windows out except for the cab doors...next off, the roof!

SD531737.jpg

All in all I'm pretty happy with the condition he's in as for the most part everything is pretty solid. Just a few areas that have been lazily repaired in the past and now need to be sorted properly.

Why do all 70-71 UK RHD Dormies look the same when they're in nead of TLC? This one is almost identical to mine (see link in the signature below).

youll have a all mate, my dormobile was a right mess and im still going, but dont let it get you down, if you get stuck walk away from it for a few hours or so and calm down hehe or you end up kicking panels and them more filler is needed :)

but have fun with it :)

Latest posts