1970 San Francisco westfalia resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was meant to rip down to Volksworld Saturday morning but I had a slight mishap Friday night
A lash cap decided to shatter and chew up the rockers & rocker shafts for cylinders 3&4 :(

All is cool though, I've got a very sexy set of Pauter 1.4 rockers coming and to prevent a repeat of this a tool maker & machinist friend is making me some lash caps out of tool steel, they can match my Udo Becker tool steel lifters :mrgreen:

Got the bus running after the issue with the rockers & lash caps :mrgreen: But then disaster struck, spent the night on Dunwich cliff tops for a mates wedding then Sunday morning when driving home I hit some wet mud that had been left by a tractor coming off a field. Back end come round and the bus smacked into a grass embankment and ended up down a service track for a rail line. Got off lightly I think but damage is a smashed n/s/f indicator, dented lower front panel, a twisted front bumper iron and a cracked deep sump :(

After some trawling on the web I've sourced an OG indicator lense, a Gene Berg 2 litre sump which I've polished :msn4: a heavy duty sump plate from RJ Volksperformance and some more Bradd Penn 20/50 oil. That's Saturday spoken for :roll:

Yeah I did nip up slightly :shock: Wasn't worried about the bus, first thought was the missus as my bus only had lap straps! It will be roaring about again come Sunday :D

Brought some new goodies for the bus last week, a brand new pair of Weber 48 IDF's! :mrgreen: The difference it's made is really surprising! I thought it was quick before :shock:

I then went for a rip around Woodbridge with Grazy who insisted we broke into the skatepark :lol:

Been having an issue with the oil pipes on my bus splitting and couldn't work out why :| Turns out I've got a stuck pressure relief valve :roll: So yesterday this happened

Thought I'd take the box out and sort the leak on that too.

:(

Today with the help of my father in-law I stripped the motor down to a long block. Tin ware is getting powder coated during the week, exhaust is being re-wrapped with some thermotec heat wrap and I'll polish all the shiney bits like the Berg pulley, throttle linkage and intake manifolds. Also got new shifter bushes as well as new cv joints, gators, bolts and spreader plates and oil pipes being made up by Pirtek :mrgreen:

Gonna crack the underseal out too

Made a start on reconditioning my driveshafts today at work. I need to get out more :lol:

Been doing lots on the bus the past couple of weeks...

New Rancho gearbox, CV's, drive shafts, shifter coupling and bushes:D

Snazzy oil lines

And shiney powder coated tinware & re wrapped exhaust

Miss it like hell! Can't wait :mrgreen:

K@rlos said:

Nice work going on, whats inside the gearbox? Any special upgrades 8)
Greetings from Holland, mycha

mychatype3 said:
K@rlos said:

Nice work going on, whats inside the gearbox? Any special upgrades 8)
Greetings from Holland, mycha

Hey Mycha! Just beefed up internals and a 4.12 final drive from a 6 rib box. Also opted for a 73-79 bell housing so I can fabricate a mid mount at later date.

Karl

Latest posts