1970 tin top westy resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers dude's,

Went for too high steep a slope for the Girls on the 1st run and Scared the Sh*t out of them (and me..) :shock: , starting with a few hillucks from now....

Hi!

That is looking very very nice indeed, very jealous of your bus!!

I may be interested in the gearknob if you are making some - i like the first one, any ideas on cost?

The go kart is ace too!!

Well done!

Cheers1

Alistair

Hi!

That is looking very very nice indeed, very jealous of your bus!!

I may be interested in the gearknob if you are making some - i like the first one, any ideas on cost?

Hi Alistair & thanks,

I'm getting the pricing sorted out for the Stainless Steel insert and thread next week so should have some idea on what they will cost then & will post a gear knob thread and PM you when I have it sorted :D

Been doing a bit of cleaning while the suns been out 8)

P3190314.jpg

Then I added the result of a few winter nights in the garage with the dremel and two wooden nobs...(Madam...)

P5080521.jpg

P5080520.jpg

P5080529.jpg

So I now have a matching Suicide nob, a gear shift nob and a Morph - Well actually Morph was made from a spare Stave of Walnut from my kitchen surface and the Gear nob / Suicide nob turned from African Zebrano which has a wonderful striped grain.

I also decided to contrast the front and rear wheels a little more by stretching the rear ones out a little. The front wheels sit on a Slammwerks narrow beam with T2D dropped spindles. I think the beam was between 3.5 and 4'' narrowed, so not too extreme. So to add to this I thought the rears would look a better contrast an inch wider and and inch closer to the wheel archs. I started with a couple of stock 14'' wide five's (thanks Slammed ;) ) and sent them off to banded steels (http://www.bandedsteels.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for a 1'' band to be added to the outer edge. You can't F&*ck around with banding wheels unless you are 100% sure that they will be done properly and these guy's (Kris) seem to know what they are doing and how best to do it safely (all laser cut, jig loaded and inner seem welded). Must admit I'm really happy with the result. Painted them the same as before and Ant did the business on the whitebanding (Tks for accommodating with such short a notice Ant ;) )

So the end result looks like this..

P5080514.jpg

P5080512.jpg

P5080513.jpg

P5080511.jpg

P5080516.jpg

You don't notice it straight away, you have to second look and I kinda like that...

Love the Morph - you could make a few bob selling those 8)

Love this bus - think the rear wheels are a stroke of genius so hats off dude :mrgreen:

Thanks Alistair & gninnam,

Adding up the hours the Morph took me to make I don't think 2 a week would make my fortune :D

tintintin said:
P1240074.jpg

Has anybody seen covers like these before? They seem to be factory fitted, but don't seem to serve much purpose apart from maybe noise reduction or dress up - doubt they'll be going back on though.

i know its going back a long way.... but just been looking through your thread tintintin.....

ive got these on my 70 uk rhd too!!! did they have a bit of sound deadening sandwiched behind?!? and were they riveted on?!?

jp

JP,

Sorry mate, didn't see your comments, but yes they had padding attached and were riveted if I recall - I think for possible sound deadening or insulation - I left them off coz, mine were fire damaged.

Hows your bus going?

Will

Now for sale......

Tricky decision as you will all appreciate, but the right one I think.

Time will tell......

Latest posts