1970 westi arrive the work starts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panalvan

Reaction score
1970westiearrives004.jpg

After about 30 min i took off the spare wheel and put on a badge i hate the wheel on the front down to personal taste i suppose
1970westiearrives005.jpg

Agree, looks much better with the badge on the front.

Well done on your purchase and good luck!

Cheers guys when it stops rainning i can get the interior sorted by removing the crap home made one and fitting the original i got from chris on here then it will be nice. :)

nice one chris looks super cool , better with wheel in the back nice colour too mate . looks like a bigger driveway is required notice you are looking for one tho .

Nice bus, gotta agree on the spare wheel move, ours had it fitted in the past but its now gone, got to work out where to fit it as the 3/4 R&R bed will be even smaller if we tuck it in the corner :cry:

hi chris , was working in Byland close today drove past to look at your van but it was under a JK cover . have you done any more of late mate

Hi mate
Been at it this weekend fitting a better westy interior and cleaning it up next time your around come by the kettle is always ready for action

Hi

My westy has exactly the same black roofbar fittings...I'm guessing they are roofbar fittings??? The bits that are on the sides of the front roof section.

Do you know what they are? Are they period parts?

???

No idea i think they are for a roof rack but its abit strange having a rack on the pop top
I will be removing them later
Cheers

panalvan said:
No idea i think they are for a roof rack but its abit strange having a rack on the pop top
I will be removing them later
Cheers

They're for a roofrack indeed, like his late bay:
20060925121103_4.jpg

20060925121103_1.jpg

Nice bus, BTW! Lovely colour. Looks even better without the airbag on the front! 8) :wink:

Fraggle said:
Hi

My westy has exactly the same black roofbar fittings...I'm guessing they are roofbar fittings??? The bits that are on the sides of the front roof section.

Do you know what they are? Are they period parts?

???

A set of these roof bars have been left in my camper when I bought it. It looks like they have never been fitted

Hi people
Ive been busy brakes done rear interior nearly done just the engine to do.When i got it it had cylinder blow by so the engine was removed and i took it to work to sort out.Long story short three of the cylinder head studs had ripped out of the case .The case had savers in it which were torn out due to then being m14 treads with a fine pitch so i had to make new case savers with a corse thread which is better in soft material.I machined out the case to suit the new savers which are now 5/8 unc with a 10 mm thread to take the stud.All done now so fingers crossed they will work.I will keep you posted.

I agree with you Speedman. Its all very well putting the spare inside for "the look" but if you actually want to use the vehicle for camping then I think the extra space gained by putting the spare outside more than outweighs the look.

It all depends on your priorities. Personally I am more interested in how the vehicle suits my needs than in the look. I am not using my van to impress other people - I just like it and use it for camping and picnics etc and like to keep it in good condition. :)

Its been a while but things are going well so here are some pics
Engine all done and now fitted running well and sounds sweet
1970westietidyup009.jpg