1970 Westy resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scuffing the main mankind off with wet n dry, then auto sol on a scotchbrite then polished up with the machine then a oft cloth!!!!

Getting there slowly!!

Lee C said:
Scuffing the main mankind off with wet n dry, then auto sol on a scotchbrite then polished up with the machine then a oft cloth!!!!

Getting there slowly!!

Nice work, I'll try the metal polish as well...

had a look at your thread, great job there, looking amazing 8)

So real progress being made now :D
No bad rust under the windscreen seal, a really solid bus, gotta love that California weather!
More paint to come off after these dents and surface rust areas are sanded out.

IMG_0779_zps11910de3.jpg

IMG_0780_zps77e6b5da.jpg

0fb9c063-903f-457d-8a8a-e0a3a4b5cc3e_zpsab3fa6a5.jpg

More parts for the bus arrived. Pleased with the early front grille from FBI.

3eb6bbc8-771b-4692-b1a2-e981156bfa03_zps68c49e8d.jpg

Ok so nearly cleaned up one of the jalousie windows.

A tip from the guy on the Samba, put tape on the windows so you remember to get them back in the same way round they came out.

IMG_0790_zps5d23864f.jpg

Took the outer seal off first
IMG_0786_zpsd641837e.jpg

Then took the top piece of frame out. Screws were stuck, so I used a penetrating oil but no luck. So I heated them with a kitchen blowtorch and then applied ice. Screws came out easy after that :)
IMG_0791_zps1a783eee.jpg

Then took off one of the three windows, two screws each side. Getting the wrong screw here could go straight into the glass. So I bagged and tagged the screws.
IMG_0794_zps47c4bfef.jpg

Little wood screws in the top and bottom of each window. A couple were missing, when I put this window back together I found a new one and it went in fine.
IMG_0795_zps3f5e3819.jpg

Old seals were really brittle. Sanded each piece of frame with wet and dry, started with 1500grit then 2500grit and then 5000grit
IMG_0797_zpsb52a348e.jpg

Then poilshed with my Dremel
Got this polishing kit on ebay, they come in two sizes 2.3mm and 3mm, this was the 2.3mm one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400085865805?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Set the Dremel to low speed and get the brown compound on the felt wheel first, polish the metal.
IMG_0839_zpsa2f3ef9a.jpg

Next polished each piece with Auto Glym metal polish
IMG_0806_zps31de0b79.jpg

When the window was cleaned, I carefully scraped the crud off with a sharp blade. I put on the new seal, found it better to just cut the corner slightly when the seal was all round the window. Cutting the seal too far meant it went baggy round the corner. Used lots of window cleaner to get the seal completely into the metal pieces when they went back on.
IMG_0810_zps95d6d0c9.jpg

Rubbed down the bar at the bottom of the window and painted a three coats of Hammerite rust beater primer and then painted with aluminium paint
IMG_0872_zps905d1b28.jpg

IMG_0860_zps1a7e8d74.jpg

Put it all back together, damn sight easier than taking it apart (stuck screws) :)
One down one to go.
IMG_0869_zpsd633e784.jpg

Cheers Des, yes the bed is beautifully made, definitely recommed - if you've got a pop top.
The kids have got it all sorted, they told me they're taking turns one up top and the other one in the hammock in the front

Sorry to bother you, new to the forum can you tell me were you got the roof bed from. Many thanks carol

Here are some more pics of the resto. Won't be long before the primer goes on.

IMG_1203_zpsa3ef3560.jpg

IMG_1209_zps21e2cddf.jpg

IMG_1207_zps0a5a90d3.jpg

Primer is on :D

Stone chip primer all around the lower part of the shell, underneath the roof rack, behind and around the headlights and bottom of doors coated in it too. So should protect the paint from chipping. Looks like paint will be going on this week 8)

Nice to see the primer on, it's moving quicker now, the bodyshop have sorted themselves out, got a couple of people on to it. Can't wait to get out in it again :)

who? said:
Sweet Westy....White ones are the best...but then I am biased :shock:

Thanks, I'm going to keep it white, it's going to be painted Pearl Weiss, which apparently is the correct colour for 1970 8)

Latest posts