1970 Westy resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paint is on! :D
Doors are still off though!

It's a wierd feeling looking at it In the original paint colour, it looks new but old at the same time.
Amazing what they've done with the front, to get a smooth shape from what they started with.

Started to take out the electrics in the front, ready for a new wiring loom. Stereo shop wouldn't put in a stereo they were so worried about it catching fire :shock:

Taking out the old wiring feels good though and really helped me get to understand it better.

Switches off, luckily didn't need an escutcheon tool :)

All out apart from the indicator stalk, interior light, wire for the heated rear screen and wiper motor.

Ha ha :lol: Sorry the gauge install had to go, the stereo won the fight in the end.

Here she is, amazing what they did with the front. Feel like it's getting there :D

Your bus is looking great all dressed up in new pearl white - except for the fact I've gotta drive past it everyday :mrgreen:

Saw you out in yours the other day :mrgreen: mines all dressed up but can't go :roll:

Yes :D
It's a puzzle with most of the bits missing :lol:

I'll Pm you about the pins

Got a few bits sorted recently -

Got a 1970 bracket for the fuse box from a really nice bloke on here called Karl quick coat of paint and that will be fitted this weekend with the new loom.

Made two new screws for the indicator stalk, now the indicator stays on :D

Took out the R&R bed to get ready for the interior panels from Rackhams and found a whole load of stuff :shock:
A few American coins, broken headphones, McDonlads lid, pens, pencils, toys and a lot of muck.
Luckily no rust :D

Found this in the box I got with the Camper and realised I have a stove pipe!
Well pleased, really hard to get hold of.

Made myself a dash Switch Escutcheon Tool, might have to cut it a bit more looking at this pic.

Inverter and leisure battery are in. Leisure battery is where the starter battery normally is.

The inverter is directly above this in the side cupboard.

Daverob73 said:
Made myself a dash Switch Escutcheon Tool, might have to cut it a bit more looking at this pic.

Love the escutcheon tool! Keep up the great work.

Nice find on the stove pipe btw. I just picked up a '71 oil bath air cleaner and am trying to find the numerous extra bits and pieces. Always something...

The hinge in my pop top is cracked.
I was talking to my father-in-law about it, he's a retired engineer, he thought of a clever way of fixing this without having to totally take it apart.

He inserted a steel rod inside the hollow tube. Then drilled a new hole through the rod, and spot welded it to hold it in place. I'm going to paint it with zinc paint to finish it off.

Ingenious fix for the broken hinge.

If you ever see a pair of '73-only hinges for sale, could be worth snapping them up. Much stronger and a better design than the early pop-top hinges. All the bolt holes are in the same location too.

521686.jpg

Have you fitted your stove pipe yet? Looked at mine today, but not sure where the piece on the right fixes. Any advice/pics?

I see they used flat metal for the hinge and not hollow tubes, they must have seen the weakness in it.

No I haven't fitted the stove pipe yet, it's at the garage at the moment, a few more pressing problems with the steering box and coupling.
And it's M.O.T time :roll:

I've tried looking everywhere for a pic of the stove pipe fitted, but no luck.
I was going to get it in position through the hole in the tinware, with the angled end facing the fins and see if it was close to a fixing point.

Maybe someone could take a picture of it in position. I might ask that question in technical when I fit it.

Latest posts