1971 Deluxe Transporter (US - Chicago) Red9 Wishbone Kit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnny I'm running exactly the same setup as Tim albeit with 15" steels but I have gone for a notch higher on the front sdie plate. Dropping in my engine this weekend (as long as nothing goes wrong) so this should give you an indication of the stance you'll achieve.

Des

Getting close to ordering new window seals... I'm trying to decide if the "Deluxe Window Trim" is worth the hassle...

Thoughts?

yeah definitely, im going the same route full deluxe treatment, even the M plate ;) :lol:

theres a guy on the samba selling m code plates new with whatever you want,

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=946139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

no one will ever know its not a real deluxe except the whole of the eb crew :lol:

Great thread but not alot of detail on performance. I'm just about to order mine and would be real happy with your opinion of the ride, steering etc.

thanks
Eden

The performance is outstanding IMO. I have mine set pretty low, so I get some rubbing in the front when I hit a dip in the road. It takes potholes with ease and no rubbing.

The best thing about the kit is that I don't get blown all over the road on a windy day. The steering is a serious upgrade, but is also the worst part of the kit. By that I mean it is exposed and the lowest part of the suspension.

It corners really well... for a bus. I no longer feel like I'm driving a boat.

Really happy with this kit.

Inspired by dubscum... I felt the need to break up all the white on the front of the bus:

fd5bc9ef.jpg

At a local swap meet I sold a few things and got rid of all the big items I kept tripping over in my garage.

I scored a couple of non-essential items... :D

650d1d3f.jpg

a54622b9.jpg

ok... so I've driven over 200 miles with the Red 9 kit...

I drove down the highway (at a lightening speed of 55mph)... there was about a 12 mph crosswind and I had many large (semi) trucks passing me during my 40 minute drive. I drove it all the way with one hand and I was not nervous at all.

That is probably the best kind of compliment I can give this kit (lots to luv about this kit).

This fall I will be doing the following:

1. Fabricating brackets to weld to my chassis to mount the steering rack to.
2. notching my chassis in the front for the steering linkage (I would like it to be less exposed).
2a. This will cause me to move the location of my master/servo over towards the middle of the bus.
3. notching my rear chassis so I can drop the back a couple more inches to level the bus out a bit.

I'll talk to Simon before I do any of this to get his input, but I really want to safe guard the steering linkage/rack.

one of my favorite threads as ill be using it as a reference 8)

makesure and take plenty of pictures of the process. :D

Latest posts