1972 Crossover Dormobile - Full Restoration Work In Progress

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost felt like getting the carb cleaner and lighter on it. But don't know if thjere are any more. I know they are poisonous but are the bite fatal

Time for a restless nights sleep now, before getting on the blower to env health

Nafe

"This spider's bite is much feared because its venom is reported to be 15 times stronger than a rattlesnake's. In humans, bites produce muscle aches, nausea, and a paralysis of the diaphragm that can make breathing difficult; however, contrary to popular belief, most people who are bitten suffer no serious damage—let alone death. But bites can be fatal—usually to small children, the elderly, or the infirm. Fortunately, fatalities are fairly rare; the spiders are nonaggressive and bite only in self-defense, such as when someone accidentally sits on them."
or so says national geographic.

a lot of help after the sleeples night im sure, :roll:

Haha awesome.

i have been doing a bit of research and appears that only 1% of humans that get biten die.

i phoned up the pest comtrol department of the environmental help and after getting confused between the difference between a CAR and a CALF (baby cow) i was told that due to the rarity of this pest control do not have a specific unit to deal with this incident and i would be best off contacting my local vet for them to either point me in the direction of the best suited person/s or they could come and collect it.

when i informed her that the collection/killing of the black widow that i "know" isnt the problem and that i have seen an egg sack on the chassis she still told me that the local vet would be the best 1st port of call and if they dont know then phone them back to see if they could possibly organise a person to come out and fumagate the bus.

Haveacamper said:
Haha awesome.

i have been doing a bit of research and appears that only 1% of humans that get biten die.

i phoned up the pest comtrol department of the environmental help and after getting confused between the difference between a CAR and a CALF (baby cow) i was told that due to the rarity of this pest control do not have a specific unit to deal with this incident and i would be best off contacting my local vet for them to either point me in the direction of the best suited person/s or they could come and collect it.

when i informed her that the collection/killing of the black widow that i "know" isnt the problem and that i have seen an egg sack on the chassis she still told me that the local vet would be the best 1st port of call and if they dont know then phone them back to see if they could possibly organise a person to come out and fumagate the bus.

Tin worm on your last bus and now black widows on this one, you really need to sort out your bus hygiene ;)

antoine said:
" such as when someone accidentally sits on them."

Good job we don't know anyone that sat on one.....
(wheres mole gone???)

plumbers blow torch mate :evil: . a black widow cant be that hard :lol: . or just hit it with something hard. i dont think you can sell spiders on ebay so if you dont kill it you'll have to keep it. a friend of my trades in spiders and you have to list them as live food for other animals

Lol, love that idea but not sure I'd want to get close enough to capture one humanely. Not sure squashed black widow in resin would be as effective!

of, first off lets talk about the spider...

i went down on saturday mornign hoping to catch the spider. my first idea was to capture it using my mums' dyson - not my idea, my mums :)

unfortunately as soon as i got the dyson close it ran back into the chassis.

so, Sunday i decided to attack it with the oxy/ac torch. for some reason one fo the guys down the barn had locked it up in his shed and was on holliday - so it was time to improvise - aracnophobia time :) armed with a lighter and a can of carb cleaner i waited for the spider to poke her head out and gave it a good dose or two of carb cleaner. with the chassis rails on fire i blew out the excess flames and cleaned any other webs away. so next time i'm down there if there are new webs i know it failed.

ideally i could do with borrowing some body rollers to put the bus on its side and give it a once over with the torch. anyone have a set local to south wales/bristol area

without knowin gif the spider/ spiders were killed i was a little apprehensive to lie under the bus so i prepped the cab floor areas for the 10p piece patches it requires. also, with a twisted stainless wire brush i started getting rid of any rust bubbles and rust around the bench seat plates. by the time i did this there were so many little rust bubbles that i thought it would be worth just giving the whole floor a coat of primer before painting it white.

img00059201007102015.jpg

still waiting for my dads friend to dig out his spot welded for the inspection hatch to be finished. i'd prefer to spot weld this as it will be neater and with the picture frame being 3mm and the floor 1.5 it will make welding easier - so my dad says :)

NaFe

p.s. i also fitted my black porshe boxster S wheels - which have previously been fashioned by Nelly's fab bus.

ok, so got couple fo hourse down the bus last night and worked on modding the oil tank a little so i wouldnt have to cut the bus. i decided to cut to top corner off the oil tank for it to fit in the battery tray corner:

img00068201007191956.jpg

trial fitted the tank and look pretty good, so set about blanking off the corner and trial fitting it again. it needs to be that low so the oil take off on the bottom front of the tank clears the chassis:
img00069201007192039.jpg

a little wonky photo but you can how it will look from the engine bay. front goes to the external thermostat and then on to the oil cooler, and the one pointing to the engine goes to the engine:
img00070201007192039.jpg

didnt want to set the tank any lower or it would stick out below the bumper and would look a bit weird from a distance:
img00071201007192040.jpg

what i need to do now is to fluch out the tank as there are little bits of swarf in the residue oil. I wiped as much as as i could out, but need to ensure its all out. anyone know of anything suitable to use. i presume i want a solvent to flush it out as this will also evaporate. anyone know what i should use? and where i can get said product from?

give it a swill out with petrol. that should brake down any oil residue and swarf. is it guna run this year or is a longer term thing getting it on the road.

wasnt sure petrol would be ok if i was going to be putting oil in it. i suppose i'm not going to be welding it again so shouldnt be a problem.

as for bus, i'm trying to get it on the road asap with a MoT and drive it for the end of summer/autumn, running as a rat bus, then get it off the road over the winter to get a good paint job and upholstery on it.

i was just thinking about whether its feasible to get it done for vanfest lol. going to be tight. may have to tell the g/f she's not going to see me for a while lol

So, with the date of vanfest a little too ambitious i have re-evaluated the dates and will be aiming for an MoT'd and registered bus in time for me to drive to Brighton Breeze 2nd October.

i'm out of the country with work from monday to friday next week, so with that in mind i have placed a couple of orders hoping that i will have all the bits i require to crack on when i return.

i have bought myself:
- Body rollers to tip the bus on the side to mount the oil cooler, fuel pump, fuel accumulator, fuel filter and necessary hoses
- Frost marine clean and metal ready for fuel tank restoration.
- P clips for fixing wiring loom in place.
- brake hoses and clips
- gear shoft rod bits.
- steering coupling
and few other bits.

Haveacamper said:
So, with the date of vanfest a little too ambitious i have re-evaluated the dates and will be aiming for an MoT'd and registered bus in time for me to drive to Brighton Breeze 2nd October.

i'm out of the country with work from monday to friday next week, so with that in mind i have placed a couple of orders hoping that i will have all the bits i require to crack on when i return.

i have bought myself:
- Body rollers to tip the bus on the side to mount the oil cooler, fuel pump, fuel accumulator, fuel filter and necessary hoses
- Frost marine clean and metal ready for fuel tank restoration.
- P clips for fixing wiring loom in place.
- brake hoses and clips
- gear shoft rod bits.
- steering coupling
and few other bits.

Shall I put the camp bed & cooker out in the barn then?

Latest posts