1972 Crossover Dormobile - Full Restoration Work In Progress

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unfortunately not mate. the garage had a little look at it, but there was some crossed wires and the guy in garage thought the engine was running and they were just tuning, but its not running at all for some reason. they had a little look at it, but because they are really busy and turning away Porsche work they asked me to collect it last week.

now i'm left to try and sort it out myself. really need a K Jetronic expert to come and have a looksie at it.

to compound the issue i got insurance sorted for the bus expecting to have an MoT so i can register it but my 21day on the chassis number has run out. the insurance company need a reg number to pass on to underwriters within 30 days as a legel requirement. but there is no way i'm going to be able to do this. not sure whether i will have to cancel policy or whether i can just have an invalid policy and give them the reg plate when i get it.

not sure whether to pull the engine from the bus. then i can strip the bus, get it to the bodyshop and try and sort out the engine. cant figure out which is the best option.

NaFe

Haveacamper said:
unfortunately not mate. the garage had a little look at it, but there was some crossed wires and the guy in garage thought the engine was running and they were just tuning, but its not running at all for some reason. they had a little look at it, but because they are really busy and turning away Porsche work they asked me to collect it last week.

now i'm left to try and sort it out myself. really need a K Jetronic expert to come and have a looksie at it.

to compound the issue i got insurance sorted for the bus expecting to have an MoT so i can register it but my 21day on the chassis number has run out. the insurance company need a reg number to pass on to underwriters within 30 days as a legel requirement. but there is no way i'm going to be able to do this. not sure whether i will have to cancel policy or whether i can just have an invalid policy and give them the reg plate when i get it.

not sure whether to pull the engine from the bus. then i can strip the bus, get it to the bodyshop and try and sort out the engine. cant figure out which is the best option.

NaFe

Get it running now ;)

Nafe

give this guy a bell, hes based in Pontypridd, he is very good, deffo worth having a chat with him. 01443 493123

he does a lot of work with VW's

Mark

who is he mate?

its someone who knows their old porsches i need. i'm got someone i can try next. going to try and trouble shoot a bit more this evening and see where i get.

it MUST be something stupid as its not even trying to fire up when cranking, and i've checked for spark and fuel....

we'll get there, and it will be even sweeter when we do :) (he says while rocking forward and back lol)

Fingers crossed you get this sorted....

(You haven't put the HT's to the spark plugs in the wrong order have you????)

just to give you a little update for those who arent aware.

i am still having great issues with the porsche engine so the plan was as follows...get the bus mot'd and registered with a different engine, then stri the bus down and get it in to paint. while in paint, try and get the porsche engine running on a test bed - as per uber cool method :)

so without having to look far - about 4 foot from the back of my engine bay, i found an engine...Loxy's. so i have borrowed his engine while he works on his lowering project. all it needed was a small adaptor loom to be made up for the wiring and away we went. luckily i wasnt doing i the other way around or i would have had to have a massive wiring loom.

so the bus went for an mot on friday....and passed!!!!!!! Unfortunately i didnt manage to get all the necessary paperwork to the dvla in time on friday so went in this afternoon and submitted my paperwork.

i know await the letter in the post with my registration information....or more likely, the dreaded call to say they want to inspect it. time will tell, but annoyingly they only inspect vehicles on a wednesday between 9-12 and 1-3 hahah.

NaFe

Great news about the MOT 8)

Shame about the engine still playing up, but I am sure it will be cracked :D

ye hopefully i'll get it running. at least now though i dont have the pressures of getting ti registered pushing me and not making it enjoyable.

now i can work on the bus when its in the bodyshop...and if necessary i can trailor it up to upholsteres and furniture company etc after the paint if needed.

gninnam said:
Great news about the MOT 8)

Shame about the engine still playing up, but I am sure it will be cracked :D

With his new found patience & realisation that he actually has the skills to solve all the problems himself he will ;)

Regarding the cover note, they are legally only obliged to give you a 30 days max on that particular note. You can ring up and get another, i had to do this with cherished insurance and they were fine about it. I had issues with HMRC then the weather kept me indoors. My insurance started in July last year and im just road legal last week... the beetle will be another 8 weeks its on the same insurance.

if they give you any hassle about not being able to issue another note, its nonsense, they just dont want the hassle i think.

ye it was "inspected". this is a loose term used by the dvla. the guy came out, read the chassis number and mileage and said, "thanks for that, the paperwork will be in the post". to which i replied, "the guy I spoke to on the phone said that I would get the paperwork over the counter today"

so, i went back into the dvla office and waited for 20minutes then walked out with a nice age related plate with FAX XXXK :) my Grandfathers Morris 1000 was on AX - its the South Wales Monmouthshire code.

Fantastic result after all the hard work and red tape - well chuffed for you :mrgreen:

well, done, shame you need to strip it down again. At least you have had a good boost to get it finished. I had to do the same with my engine, got some issues with air leaks in the carbs so its not running right on tick over (my fault for having 6 carbs). So had to strip some of it down on the test bench and refit to the vw engine to go for an MOT.

Van now MOT's again, so Ill need to do some more on the Porsche engine soon.

Latest posts