1972, Le Mans Gulf racing team truck.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebster52

Reaction score
Been lurking around here some and found answers to several of my questions.

Thought maybe I'll present my "Pritschenwagen" now. I hope you dont mind that it isn't a pure Earlybay but a "Zwitter". :D

I was offered this one first time early June the past summer but then forgot about it.
Then again saw an updated ad for it where the seller asked buyers to send him an offer for it offline. He didn't want any official auction for it.

I threw in a bid at €355 and thought that I will not score this anyways. Two weeks later the seller mails me and tells me that there was one bid higher than me but the buyer backed out when he was supposed to pick it up. So he asked if my bid still stands...

I said yes, off course.

We then made up a deal as when I was coming to pick it up in late August. The drive down there was about 550km with the trailer. (well it wasn't empty as I delivered an empty 51' splitbeetle shell to an other address on the same trip.)

When me and my brother finally arrive to the location where the SC stood we found out that the rearaxle was not mounted. Not to mention that the rearaxle turned out to be a pre-71 axle....

DSC_0392.jpg

Well we disassembled the earlyaxle and mounted everything loosely and stuck some pathway tiles inbetween the bumpstops to make the rear stand somewhat on the right height...

Then after 3 hours of work we loaded it onto the trailer.

DSC_0393.jpg

The trip home went fine.

DSC_0395.jpg

As you can see there was no engine. Otherwise the car was in surprisingly good condition. Had been stored in a barn since -85, and only the past year outside.

DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0395-1.jpg

I've now tracked down the correct rearaxle parts, including a pair of horseshoes. Bought a pair of adjusters for the frontaxle.

20081006b.jpg

Also bought a 2,0L Type-4 engine for it, that I'm trying to assemble at the moment. Still need some minor parts for that as I'm installing a Digijet fuel injection from a Wasserboxer on. it

20080915.jpg

20081018002.jpg

Thanks.

I've had some visions in keeping it as is. Just repair the minor rust issues in the sills.

Maybe give it a GULF paintscheme?
(GULF logo in the front and an orange band over the cab, and orange bumpers?)

A very good find and at a bargain price!!!

The Gulf scheme sounds like a good idea too - hurry up and get on with the resto :wink:

Yes dag, I was looking at yours earlier and I love it!! 8)

I will keep it as much original as possible except for the rideheight.. ;)

Not yet decided on the wheels though. I have thought about running stock 14's at front and possible MB 15's (steelies) at rear. (looks almost identical)

Was offered some Passat 16 inch steelies tonight so maybe will go that route? :)

Dont have a really fresh photo of it as I now have the headlight fitted but here's one with the "new" logo...
20081018003.jpg

The rings on the headlight assemblies I got for free are original painted ones. Same colour as the bumpers and logo. 8) Was thinking maybe I should have tracked down a pair of painted rearview mirrors for the doors too?

Can't tell by looking at pictures on a computer monitor but my '72 dormobile is neptune blue with Pastel White bumpers - L90D. There is a paint scheme chart somewhere, hang on a sec...

...on Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; check against your chassis number...

Cracking SC by the way, would love one myself 8)

Thanks, that was fast! :D

Looks like it could be correct. Need the code as I have to repair and repaint the front bumper steps... :cry:

Fresh photos from last night.

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

I also got some done to the engine.

First of all replaced the broken dipstick tube. (Still need to find a new dipstick... :cry: )
DSC_0139.jpg

Then tightened the cooling tin so I could start fitting the Wasserboxer fuelinjection plenum to the manifolds.
DSC_0148.jpg

Had to bend the manifold tubes about an inch on the righthandside of the engine backwards(the ones closest to the camera). Otherwise the plenum would have sat a bit twisted and also to clear the intake rubber from AMM to the throttlebody.

DSC_0161.jpg

The manifolds to the left bent, and the plenum on its correct place.
DSC_0142.jpg

Welded the mounts that bolts the WBX plenum to the type-4 case.

DSC_0321.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

And fitted WBX injectors.

DSC_0317.jpg

Should be able to start assemble the exhaust the upcoming weekend as the pipings should have arrived today.. :wink:

Singlecabs rock....; :D

Especially neptune blue ones , going to hit mine with a lowering stick soon... 8)

Keep up the good work... 8)

Latest posts