1972, Le Mans Gulf racing team truck.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.

For the moment I'm having a hard time finding a replacement steeringwheel for it...

Thought I had found one but it turned out to be slightly different.

The upper is the original one from the -72 and the one below is a replacement I have found.

DSC_0224-1.jpg

DSC_0225-1.jpg

To make the replacement work I guess I need late Baywindow indicator housing. Do I have to also replace the ignition housing if I decide to use the newer wheel and indicatorhousing?

Great work on that exhaust, let us know how it sounds when your done :D

Just had the time to go to the garage for one hour so I unbolted the distorted rearbumper and gave it som sledgehammering.. Looks already much better. That is some thick material and need pretty good hammering to do any kind of reshapening... :shock:

Rearbumper.jpg

Finished the exhaust today. Just one little seam I couldn't weld from the underside will be next time I go to the garage.

Now I just need to mount the cables so I can teststart the engine.

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

Learned that the starters for type-4 engines with 228mm (and 091 gearboxes) need to have the longer starter axles so they clear from the larger pressureplate. Those starters are rare over here but turns out that the WBX starters are basically the same.

WBX starter to the left compared to the shorter type-1 engined Bay.

20090325003-1.jpg

As my Singlecab had the Type-1 engine originally the flywheel bellhouse is not as deep as the 091 bellhouse. This means I have to grind out some to clearance it.
I also needed a 7-8mm spacer for the starter, so my brother milled me one. ;)

Bild001.jpg

I also bought these Solex PDSI 36-40's today. These carbs from BMW 2002's are very commonly used in our Dirt track race beetles. So have these been used. The choke is removed from them and the venturis seem to have been clearanced up to 30-32mm. Will be interesting to test them..

DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

My brother made me some spacers/adapters for the carbs last Saturday. 8)
Bild002.jpg

Bild003.jpg

Bild005.jpg

Bild00701.jpg

Bild01101.jpg

First carburator mounted tonight.

I've got two options for the linkage.

Either one single rod between the carbs which is linked to the rotating plate in the center that is linked to the throttle cable Old Cadron style
Or two separate rods mounted to the cotating plate.CSP Kadron style

DSC_0325-1.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0327.jpg

As the type-4 manifold I have is probably for a 1700 or 1800 the ports in them were smaller than the ports in my 2000cc heads I decided to port the manifold to match the heads too.

Now the carbs are mounted and I started working on the linkage for them.

DSC_0337.jpg

Nifty work by you and your bro!! 8) Slightly off topic but is that a split beetle ratrod in the background :mrgreen:

easy said:
Nifty work by you and your bro!! 8) Slightly off topic but is that a split beetle ratrod in the background :mrgreen:

Thanks. :D

Well you could say it is... ;)

It is my kids Volksrod called the KidVRod.
Project thread here on The Samba.

Started the project originally on Volksrods.com. The thread over there is more detailled.

There's a few vidclips of it on youtube too. Just search for kidvrod. ;)

3293.JPG

2996.JPG

Just realized when I came home after the testrun that I forgot to check the rockers after the engine was reassembled. I had removed the distancerings between the heads and cylinders so appearantly the valves didn't close fully when the oilpressure had built up in the hydraulic lifters... I did give the rockers a feel and felt soft but appearantly not enough... :oops:

Well, I'll fix that and try start again. Hopefully with better quality vidclip and less banging in the exhaust and carbs... :lol:

Nice work on the exhaust and on the bumper! You must be he-man :lol: Had to get mine glowing red with the oxyacelatelene to get it back into shape!

Quality job on that tot rod as well, I remember reading through the build thread a while back

Replaced the wrong Earlybay parts on the rear axles yesterday.

When I bought it I had to mount the wrong parts and put a pair of rocks as bumpstops as the torsionbar splines were too small on those... :lol:

Also mounted a pair of Mercedes 15 inch wheels on the rears.

DSC_0449.jpg

Latest posts