1972, Le Mans Gulf racing team truck.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a pile of acid proof 90 degree bends for the exhausts. 8)

40mm OD and 37mm ID.

DSC_0367.jpg

Hehe. :lol: Sorry. It is going down some but not radically low. Dont like the offroad look it have now.. :mrgreen:

Cool !
It looks like my truck's cousin !- also Neptune Blue.
BTW - I just had my bumpers sandblasted and powder coated-bit more hard wearing than paint ?

Finally got the exhaust studs sorted out. The originals were too long as my new head flanges are just 10mm thick compared to stock that are about 20mm thick.. Wasn't the easiest task as the studs were M9 at the head end and M8 on the exhaust end...

Well, my brother made me a new set of studs.. :wink:

DSC_0420.jpg

I could then bolt the primertubes so I could fine adjust them and fully weld them. Next will be the collector and mufflers. Then I can try start the engine... 8)

DSC_0433.jpg

DSC_0445.jpg

DSC_0436.jpg

Hebster52 said:
Thanks.

I've had some visions in keeping it as is. Just repair the minor rust issues in the sills.

Maybe give it a GULF paintscheme?
(GULF logo in the front and an orange band over the cab, and orange bumpers?)

Seems like I will be going the Gulf route on it for now... 8)

Just moderatly. Bumpers still stock patinated white. (The twisted rear bumper just straightened out not repainted). Probably without the orange band over the roof though, as the repaint done in the 80's is chiping off I think I'll let it do so in peace... :lol:

Finally had time to go to the garage again. Unfortunately I went out of welding gas right from the beginnig of the evening...

So, I had to come up with something else then as I allready had went to the garage...
I took the shovel and took a look on what I could find outside.. :mrgreen:
DSC_0484.jpg

When I had released the front from the snow I fitted the new (to me) bumper that arrived last week. It was perfect!! 8)
DSC_0485.jpg

DSC_0496.jpg

Then I started wondering about the gearboxes I have...

The SC was originally fitted with a 1600 Type-1 and the gearbox numbering is this:
DSC_0517.jpg

And when I bought the SC I got this gearbox too.
DSC_0503.jpg

Can I fit the 2,0L Type-4 on any of these boxes straight on or is there something that needs to be done to make the engine fit?

Finally got myself out to the garage again with new welding gas. 8)
As I was out pretty late I didn't take the time to finish off all welds but had to leave them as in the pictures. You start to see the finished product though. ;)

DSC_0528.jpg

DSC_0526.jpg

DSC_0532.jpg

DSC_0533.jpg

I then started working on the bellhouse fitment. Unbolted the bellhousing from the pre-71 002 transmission and tested it with the 228mm flywheel. It was a bit close so I have to grind off some to make it fit.
DSC_0527.jpg

Biggest problem seems to be that the opening in the "sun" on the pressureplate is just about 1mm smaller that the outer diameter of the release bearing...
DSC_0537.jpg

Going real slow right now..

Got myself to the garage tonight though and got some work done.

Started fitting the upper halves of the mufflers and also made the final exhaust tip. Not yet welded them though

DSC_0549.jpg

DSC_0553.jpg

Looking good, that exhaust should have a nice note to it!

Not sure about the gearboxes, I know on the early earlys you have to swap the nosecone over, although not sure on a 72? I guess if you look at the nosecones on the two boxes if they are the same your on a winner, if not swap them over!

Thanks, :mrgreen:

I think I have figured out the gearboxes allready. The one in the SC is the post-72 model with later releasebearing for the clutch and the one I'm using the bellhousing from for the on the floor teststart is pre-71 with early releasebearing.

Also does the pressureplate be some wildcard as the stock should from the info I've got be 40mm in the centerhole but mine is 50mm. The partsnumber is correct though... (029 141 025)

But I found a releasering for later Transporters that seem so fit. Have to test it when I get to the garage next time. 8)

Finally got myself to the garage again after a few weeks off due to becoming a dad once again 2 weeks ago. :D

Tied some fine stainless steel mesh around the perforated tubes.

DSC_0230.jpg

Then started filling it with bike muffler glasswool.

DSC_0232.jpg

Needed some bickering before I got all the fibers on the inside of the muffler.

DSC_0231.jpg

Then fully welded the first muffler.

DSC_0234.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

View from the underside when mounted.

DSC_0243.jpg

Latest posts