1972, Le Mans Gulf racing team truck.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally in the garage again and could start doing some rustrepairs.

Started with left rear corners... :shock:

DSC_0493.jpg

First patch roughly shaped before shrink hammering.
DSC_0495.jpg

DSC_0496-1.jpg

And after I shrinkhammered the edges.
DSC_0497.jpg

DSC_0499.jpg

DSC_0498.jpg

The tools.
DSC_0500.jpg

Welded.
DSC_0501.jpg

Next piece welded.
DSC_0507.jpg

Tested with the bumper mounted.
DSC_0517-1.jpg

DSC_0522-1.jpg

Finally some garagetime!!!

First I removed the trailingarms and spindles in one piece.

DSC_1038.jpg

Torsionleaves were welded in one end, maybe they usually are that too?

Decided to not pull them totally just pushed them in some and then took the "hammeringtool" and started to hammer the center to the side.

DSC_1040.jpg

DSC_1041.jpg

DSC_1042.jpg

Here I'm testing the Anti-gravitation-Gravitator... :lol:

DSC_1043.jpg

Forgot to loosen the clutchcable so I left the beam at this stage as the clock was 01:36am... :)

DSC_1045.jpg

Thanks.
Need to do some rustrepairs while I have the front suspension out as the lefthandside rocker is rusted out about 50cm from the front wheel arch and backwards. Also the rear bottom area of the same frontwheel arch is rusted through. That would be all that I need to repair.

Sprayed some WD-40 on the bed dropgate hinges as they were pretty stuck as they have not been in use in about 30 years... The lefthand side dropgate was totally stuck... :lol: First of all the front locking hook was stuck so I had to remove it and drop it into an oilbath so it would start moving again without braking it.. Now they all work fine again. :D

So, started out where I left the beam last time. First drilled out the holes for the adjusters.

20090728.jpg

Then cut out between the holes.

20090728001.jpg

Difference between the highest and lowest position.

20090728003.jpg

And welded

20090728009.jpg

Ooops!! ;)

20090728014.jpg

You're doing a great job on that truck! 8) I can't wiat to see it finished.

Overhere (in the Netherlands) there's also a bus which has the Gulf service team theme:

dyn010_original_800_600_pjpeg_2644477_fa2867f4e8bf3e3cce007c33ca2eba4c.jpg

8)

Wow! I'm doing a slightly milder Gulf theme than that.. And mine will look more like it was the service truck way back then and just found in a barn... :lol:

Finished the welding on the rockerpanel today.

Deadman's chest. :lol:

DSC_1353.jpg

This is what I was welding there... :lol:

DSC_1355.jpg

DSC_1357.jpg

DSC_1360.jpg

Some more photos

DSC_1363.jpg

DSC_1361.jpg

DSC_1367.jpg

DSC_1352.jpg

DSC_1346.jpg

Last night I ripped out the worn out and demolished rear brakedrums and backinplates and replaced them with a pair of complete used pair of brakes.

Also adjusted both sides level to each other in the rear. Still needs to come down 1-1½ inches in the rear.

Next I will replace all brakelines and then throw in the engine for the first testdrive. (hopefully allready this weekend...)

Vented and adjusted the brakes for now. Probably needs some more attention later when I have driven it some.

Realized that I need to clearance some to make the Wasserboxer starter fit.

Painted the wheels now too.

Tomorrow the engine goes inside the enginebay and hopefully will drive it for the first time on its own power.. 8)

DSC_1679.jpg

Airtime said:
Looking awesome Hebster! Do you keep the different front and back wheels?

Thanks all!

Yes, I keep the stock 14 inch wheels with lowprofiles at front and in the rear I use Mercedes steel 6x15 inch wheels. Look very similar and in my opinion looks pretty good too.

DSC_1677.jpg

Latest posts