2007cc Type 1 Engine parts! Any good???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Campmobile70

Reaction score
I have had a motor stripped down that came in a Bus from the U.S it was unfitted and unknown condition, it was not original to the bus, it had a wild buggy exhaust on it.

I believed it to be a stock 1600cc as it had a stock Solex carb and had mounts for bay engine bar, so must be a 1600 TP.

On expection it was a 2007cc with very low use, but sadly had been starved of oil and the bearings and barrels and pistons are kippered, (I don't know much tech talk so kippered is as technical as it gets:)
The barrels and piston maybe reusable but the guy who came to strip/inspect said best to replace.
The crank was balanced and I think he said it would be worth getting reground/balanced ( not 100% sure, it's a lot to take in when someone's firing loads of info at you:) and you haven't a clue about what they are telling you:-( he did say the crank would be 300-400 to buy, the heads looked all good, the case has had work on it to allow for the modified crank,looked like it could be reused.
The heads would be a few hundred each, I was told, not say I can sell them for that price but what the guy that stripped the motor told me???

Question is how much to replace bearings, re ground the ocrank and B&P, I know a big set of carbs would be needed but is this going to run into thousands?

Anyone interested in buying what I've got to build themselves a big motor

Ideas where to sell, it's completely stripped.

Thanks

In Benfleet Essex

Machine work is expensive,

A proper bottom end balanace:

so rotating assembly (clutch, flywheel, crank, bottom pulley and all the bolts holding it all together) Balanced as one unit. $100 - £150 or so

Rods £20 - £40

B&P's (If a New Set, to balance, gap rings and check) £20 - £40

B&P's if re honing your B&P's and getting them balanced and checked £80 - £100

Case may need a line bore or lifter bores re sleaving £200

Second hand parts almost sell better than a built engine.

I would think if you were to sell now as an on going concern to someone who will have to go through all the machining and assembly and remember there is no gaurantee what is scrap and what isnt. I think £900 - £1300 is the kinda ball park you want to ask for.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info Alex, I'd love to keep rebuild the motor for my Bug, but I think it would work out too much money for me to do, appreciate all the help and info

Cheers

Latest posts