68 Cali evolution

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrier man

Reaction score
Been meaning to do this for along time so here goes, not many people have the luxury of knowing the history of their Bus especially if its a Cali import so its nice that I do. One owner in its first 40 years even know his first name "Bernie" he lived in it may even have died in it :shock: I know he smoked in there thats why the original interior was changed nicotine stains everywhere. :( so heres some pics in sunny California for starters.

Picture20901.jpg

Picture20972.jpg

From Lotus White to Sea Blue.
IMGP4546.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

IMGP4556.jpg

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k540/2terriers/IMGP4544.jpg[/i

[img]http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k540/2terriers/IMGP4549.jpg

IMGP4557.jpg

The Bus was imported to this country by vw2go in Salisbury when a chap named Jason from Huddersfield South Yorkshire bought it in September 2008.
He totally changed the interior.
DSCN1730.jpg

No66-5-2011.jpg

DSCN1592.jpg

Jason is a shop fitter so did a pretty good job of the interior very retro, the only original fittings still in the van are the compressor fridge which works on 12v or via mains 12v transformer & the table leg :lol: the fridge is brilliant only draws a max of 4.5amps & is thermostatically controlled its 44years old says on the back 1967 :shock:
Poor Jasons' work started to dry up so the Bus came up for sale & along came me in April 2010, 275 miles away in Bristol, been looking seriously for about a year though more like 15 when I last had a rusty old 79 Danbury poptop, so knew when I saw this it was a good-un so we brought it back poor old Jason was gutted to sell it but he knew I would look after it where Jason was good at the interior I fixed the fridge put a 12v dual circuit relay etc; fixed the slide door, Radio, llighting the list goes on & on as most of you know I'll put some more pics up of what ive done soon.

ooro said:
that is real nice friend....preferred the original interior though but noice all the same :lol:

Know what ya mean :( but 40 odd years of Cali sun wear & tear I dont think it was anywhere near as good as it photographed. The last owners wife wouldn't go in there :eek: Still never mind at least I know what it looked like pretty much as it is now minus the sink & wardrobe where I have a fold up buddy, plenty of room to move about & I need it.

DSCN1705.jpg

DSCN1707-1.jpg

DSCN1707.jpg

These aren't too good done under the covers :msn4:

DSCN1703.jpg

Always wanted a wood rimed steering wheel now I got it went on real easy.

DSCN1699.jpg

Thats not me & the Mrs in front of the Bus well not yet :lol:

No46-5-2011.jpg

Became a TP at some stage in its life still strong I would drive it anywhere been 100% "touch wood" :lol:
No36-5-2011.jpg

DSCN1729.jpg

DSCN1716.jpg

Its taken me a year to really enjoy this bus as it stood 2 years ago it was a great bus but changing the shifter to Vintage speed quick shift totally transformed the driving experience. Its a joy to drve & makes me smile even when I'm goin up hills with my trailer on the back :lol: its agood job I got tree trunk legs for stopping :shock: put electronic ignition in a few weeks back seems good got back from Glastonbury pretty quick last week those Mendip hills are no problem to me. :mrgreen:

Cracking bus 8)

Very jealous and glad you are enjoying :mrgreen:

Brett,
Thanks for posting these pictures. You have done a first class job on this bus. The paint work looks superb as does the interior. Very nice indeed. You deserve that Cheshire cat grin you have on your chops! Its so nice to see new bus's finished. I was thinking about getting a Berg Shifter or the one you have... decisions, decisions!

LV

Hey fellas this is just too much I didn't honestly expect you all to give me the thumbs up :shock: I'm not the sort of guy who enjoys the lime-light :msn4: I quess you could call me a typical reserved English man who just likes to cruz & camp in my van I dont go to many shows thats why my Bus is not that well know but it always seems to attract alot of attention from the general public & V Dubbers a like :oops: I just like to think Ive been blessed with a nice Van.
Thanks for reading this thread as I always enjoy reading & looking at many of yours :D
Looking forward to the Xmas cruz cant think of anything better than a line of cruzin E.B :lol: ;) :lol: 8)

Thanks for that Si you just saved me £4.20, :lol: not the best picture I've seen of it the problem is they can never get the colour right, ends up looking like Neptune Blue & it does look better in the flesh (metal ) :mrgreen:

Well done on the magazine article and still a very nice bus 8)

Thanks Andy :) you seem a lovely fella only wish I could help to get your's up & running as it's been far too long. :cry:

Latest posts