68 Deluxe - Back to full height

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come to a bit of a halt with the rear stuff, so in frustration I've started the front seat.

I want to hide the cooker and a large worksurface/chopping board/whatever in the back of the seat. This is as far as the design has got. I just have a philosospy as I go along that the more I can hide the better, to use up the small spaces for small stuff and work out what to do with the big spaces when I see what I've got. So far I've got all the space under the bed and all the space under this seat still left. Pretty pleased with that seeing as I have 5 drawers, 2 deep and 2 shallow top lid cupboards and a crappy tray. So...

Because the seat back will slope a bit for comfort, there's naturally more space the lower down you go. I want to keep the back as narrow as I can to max the leg room between the seats, so it makes sense to get the cooker as low as possible so as to minimise the thickness of the back. Also I would like the back when in cooking mode, to overlap the base in case of spillage. I realised that I could gain 100mm worksuface depth by continuing the back board down behind the seat foam, but that to clear the seat cushion in cook mode I needed the hinges to raise it 100mm while it swang down.

Trial and error with bits of thin ply and panel pins and I ended up with these. They are a pair, but I've put one in each position in the pic. Welds to clean and yes they look a bit rough, but you'll barely see them and I'll paint them of course.
DSCF3976.jpg

And here's an end panel that will hide the hinges and the ends of the seat, the backrest, cooker and stuff + another roller blind. It doesn't stick out very far because the corner of the base will be rounded around one of the 2 gas bottles I'll stash under here. The cooker in the pic is the one I'll use - a bit chipped but I like enamel and it has a grill. It's from a Dormobile. It'll be at the back of the surface when it hinges down, so I'll make it swing up and forwards so I can use the grill. If i manage to get completely carried away, I'll also make it slide out so I can cook outside. But this will be very difficult with the weight of boiling saucepans cantilevered on sliding runners, so maybe not. :) I haven't worked this out yes, but the design I've come up with so far has taken the possiblity for all this into consideration - I've been pondering this for months! The rest of the stuff is just mocking up while I worked out and tested the hinges. I need some more plywood but the wood yard is shut until the 3rd. :(
DSCF3977.jpg

I think I`m getting where you is with this, shame you ain`t closer, I got a fair bit of scrap timber, chipboard etc, just the job for mock ups :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, Happy New Year Buddy :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
I think I`m getting where you is with this, shame you ain`t closer, I got a fair bit of scrap timber, chipboard etc, just the job for mock ups :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, Happy New Year Buddy :mrgreen:
And to you matey. No shortage of crud to mock up with - just the good stuff to build it with. :)

Looks to be very clever what you are trying to do 8)

Looking forward to seeing it in all its glory :D

I'm of the same thinking and modded the Dormy cooker and seat brackets to fit LHD. I will get round to flipping the controls this year as currently I use it from outside.

Just

Hmm... Maybe I should have drawn it up before I made the hinges. The flap won't cover the seat base in cook mode. Bah.

frontseat.jpg

Could you make a hinged flap that will flip over when the cooker is out to cover the area that is being missed (if you know what I mean)??

gninnam said:
Could you make a hinged flap that will flip over when the cooker is out to cover the area that is being missed (if you know what I mean)??
My first thoughts as well Andy, but it might be a bit bodgy. :(

Nice idea - poo design - back to the drawing board...

I can think of a way to pull it straight up, then hinge, but it would be awkward to operate and those hinges I made are smooth as the lifting is automatic when you flap it down. Another hinge design is in order I think.
frontseat2.jpg

I'll stick to the plan in general though - I can have a spice shelf area to the side of the cooker that's revealed when the flap's down. Lights, anything in there. I've got some stainless sheet to line the cooker area. Details I guess.
frontseats2.jpg

Nice 3D drawing (Sketchup??)

Love the addition of the spice rack - looks nice and classy.
Instead of having the extra hinged piece, what about having a pull out piece??

Keep it coming sir :mrgreen:

AutoCad2006i. I used it full time designing Telecomms installations for many years before I got a proper job. The solid modelling built in is pretty naff by today's standards but it gives an idea how it'll look. :) If I had "solidworks" I'd be able to attach all the pieces and make a cartoon of it in action.

Yep - sliding is another possibility, perhaps the whole shelf...hmmm...

Or perhaps it'll be possible to re-design the hinges so it comes further out and higher up. Whatever - I'll sketch it up first this time!

67panel said:
slide out stainless shelf was my first thought :msn4:

Thing is I'd rather have a "one action" set-up opposed to pull this, catch that, slide this. Maybe I can attach a sliding SS shelf covering the whole thing to the hinges so it slides out as you lower the lid? Hmmm - that would be acceptable if mate Tony has any big enough pieces of ss sheet. But it is still curing a symptom rather than the problem if you see what I mean. I can't decide! If one action makes lots of things move about it could look quite clever, but simplicity should be the goal. :thinking:

Hinges re-designed - now got the seat base covered and deeper work surface which is great, BUT it clashes on the back of the seat cushion when operated, and I can see I'd have to lift it to get it started where the other one just needed pulling forwards and lifted itself. At least I didn't waste time making them this time - much easier doing this in the warm. :)
frontseat3.jpg

Back to the drawing board...

Well done sir and hats off to you :mrgreen:

Like you say - get making it :D

Thanks. :)
I haven't done this CAD for years - mental block after burn-out but it's annoying me already so this is as far as I'll go until I chill a bit. :lol:

....and the cooker flapping up to use the grill and make it a bit higher (and a few spices on the rack).
frontseat6.jpg

Well, ok, just one more.;) That's it now though, I'm going crazy, I don't know how I stuck at it for all those years - give me a grinder any day!
frontseatinbus.jpg

Latest posts