68 Deluxe Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Araon

Reaction score
This 68, 8 seater Deluxe Microbus, a true beauty produced by VW, arguably one of the most stunning of VWs creations, but then most on here would say that wouldnt they.

The Deluxe a microbus with a touch more attention to the finer details.

There are more examples of clean sambas out there in the split window fraternity than of real quality Earlybay Deluxes'.

This particular bus as most on here already know was one of Scott Wilsons discoveries, during one of his Forages in South Africa. Whilst chasing double cab he was given the heads up on a good looking Deluxe in a local showroom, little did he suspect just what an example was awaiting him.

Scottsdeluxe9.jpg

The showroom situated in Cape town, was initially reluctant to sell this lovely display piece but with some hard bartering he caved in and off it headed via Durban UK bound.

The bus supplied with the original owners log books and records and only 29,702 miles on the clock landed in the UK march 2008 just in time for its first outing Stanford Hall and what a sight it was to behold, rightfully gaining a lot of attention.

Scottsdeluxe.jpg

Note the reflectors mounted above the indicators a nice little touch that hints at the vehicles origins.

Scottsdeluxe2.jpg

Again rear reflectors.

The colour Pearl Grey, the original owner a Mrs WJ Esterhuyse of Laingsburg, registration no.CBM446, supplied by Kulu Garage of Claremont, Cape Town.

Sadly for some the original paint is hidden following a respray in 2002 before its life as a display piece. This however should not detract from this stunning and otherwise near original bus.

So why the feature you ask, well just take a look at how clean this bus is, this bus emerged from the container to Scotts relief looking like this, flying through its MOT, requiring a clean and nothing more, doesnt it just make your heart long for such a bus.

Scottsdeluxe4.jpg

Scottsdeluxe8.jpg

Scottsdeluxe3.jpg

Believe me when I say the underside is as clean and original.

Scottsdeluxe5.jpg

Sadly the engine is a replacement when the original workhorse gave up the ghost after 27,810 miles, it is still very keeping being a re-manufactured piece supplied by VWSA.

Scottsdeluxe6-1.jpg

Just look at that South African Bosal exhaust, sadly another item no longer available.

The bus has several options and aftermarket items fitted from the ambulance step to the Hirschmann aerial, all adding to the character.

Scottsdeluxe11.jpg

also featured in this minor publication

Sadly Scott felt that he was starting to put unwarranted mileage on it and this is where I have to admit a point where I disagree with Scott, he felt that the bus needed to be in a collection or museum, I on the otherhand felt and still do that this bus should be used and cared for, allowed to age with some dignity and grace.

The bus was sold 12 months later by Coys auctioneers for an undisclosed sum, I wish the new owner all the best with this very very fine example and hope it ventures out of the garage now and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts