68 Dormobile barn find

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottom rung

Reaction score
A nice lady called me today and asked if I would like this:
DSCF3643.jpg

DSCF3648.jpg

DSCF3650.jpg

DSCF3652.jpg

DSCF3654.jpg

DSCF3660.jpg

Its had a lot of work done, but obviously some needs redoing. It has no interior or back bumper either. It was registered in Aug 68 so it is pretty early.... looks like I am going to be busy in the shed for a while!

I've just been over to where it is currently stored to arrange delivery. After checking the chassis number, it appears to have been made in the third week of April 1968. It should be arriving at my place at the weekend.... can't wait to get a closer look at it. I think I had better go and get a new stock of grinding discs and welding wire!

That doesnt look all that bad, i hope first on the list is to sort out that front panel.

wel done though :)

Thats the plan. Get the chassis and front end done, then the dash and electrics can go back in. Then the engine and brakes can be checked over, and then cosmetics and interior. I'm hoping to have it up to scruffy MOT standard by the end of the summer and then get it painted this winter.

stunning!!!! I knew there were some busses up there somewhere! Next time im home, i'll give you a shout as id love to see it :D

Well, I got the dormobile home yesterday morning (pissed it down, typical) and it seems to need a few more bits than I thought. There is no sign of any bumpers at all except for a set of rear irons. The top part of the handbrake linkage is missing, as is the front door handles, grille, various switches and front rubber mat. The engine lid and rear tailgate need replacing and it needs new rear arches and at least a couple of outriggers. There is a bit of rot in the channel around the rear tailgate and in the rear corners on the middle bulge and bottom corner bits. The battery shelf will need doing, and obviously will want the front panel attending to. The alloy trims around the front door window areas needs renewing, and I had better look out for a pair of opening quarterlights. There is no canvas with the roof, but looks to be a couple of bunks with it. It is completely disassembled so I am going to have fun working out what goes where. The roof will also need a complete seal kit and a couple of new skylights.
On the plus side, there is no real rot to be found in any of the floors, front doors, roof or gutters, and a (garish) set of blue/green tartan trim panels with a set of covers for the recaro seats are included. All the original hubcaps are there, and all the glass.
All in all, a good result! (It was extremely well priced.)
My plans for it have changed... originally I wanted to MOT it as soon as possible and then sort it out properly on the hoof. Instead, I will be taking my time and getting all the work done right the first time round. I will be starting at the front and gradually working my way to the back of the van, which means the front panel and arches will be done first. Pics coming tomorrow.

I've just been sorting out the boxes of odds and ends in the back of the van and found a set of doorhandles, interior mirror and indicator stalk (all correct for the 68). And the doorlocks match the ignition key! Another few things off the wishlist.
If anyone in Shetland has a half decent set of bumpers, let me know...

DSCF3667.jpg

Here is the old girl in her new home, minus dormobile roof and windscreen. Instead of starting at the front, I am starting underneath; I whipped off the crusty bellypans and found some rot in the rhs chassis leg, just around the outrigger join. :(
It also needs front and rear outriggers and jacking points. The floor is solid and the top hats are fine, but I will be cutting access holes in the floor to get to the chassis leg repair.
I am off to get a coffee and look back thru the gallery to see how other people have fixed theirs.

Your Dormy doesn't look too bad from the pictures,well worth saving.
I think you're on the right track with starting with the main chassis rails first and go from there.Have a good poke around with a screwdriver for holes,crusty metal etc any suspect areas use a grinder with a wire wheel attachment to get the crud off and have a good look.Look over the whole under side and make a list of what needs doing.Don't forget the pictures :D

DSCF3669.jpg

Here is the old girl. I'm making the best of the weather and have got her out of the garage so I can make a list of parts and work needed. I've started stripping doors and glass.

DSCF3670.jpg

Heres the front panel; it was fitted by a previous owner a few years ago and never got finished. Some tidying needed.

DSCF3671.jpg

Inside the cab. Better than some other campers I've seen.

DSCF3672.jpg

Apart from the obvious surface rust, there are a few notches in the windscreen flange caused by weld blow thru. Won't be too difficult to tidy up.

DSCF3673.jpg

Horrible rear left corner.

DSCF3674.jpg

Old buckled and rusty rear hatch. Not the van's best angle.

DSCF3675.jpg

Some work needed in the return lip of the rear hatch.

DSCF3676.jpg

Same again on the engine hatch edge.

DSCF3677.jpg

Plenty of filler over an old repair. New bottom corner needed!

DSCF3678.jpg

A real nasty. View of the right chassis leg just behind the remains of the outrigger and jacking point.

DSCF3679.jpg

View of the rear rhs outrigger.

DSCF3680.jpg

RHS chassis leg in front of front outrigger under the seat.

DSCF3681.jpg

RHS inner sill. It looks like the outer sill has been replaced at some time, but as this was under the belly pan it got left.

DSCF3682.jpg

Decent gutters at least. Note a few reinforcement plates welded into the roof for the dormobile hinges.

DSCF3683.jpg

Other gutter. The roof just needs the old red oxide rubbing off and respraying.

DSCF3684.jpg

Sliding door track looks ok, but I haven't seen behind it yet. The B pillar bottom needs looking at.

DSCF3685.jpg

Old VW caddy tailgate script welded onto the sliding door bottom. It's coming off.

DSCF3686.jpg

Old bulkhead repair; I'll be tidying this up once the chassis has been sorted.

So it needs a bit more work than what I originally thought! But it isn't anything too difficult, just time consuming. The front doors are reasonably good, and just need repairs around the mirror bosses. A lot of spares came with it, including just about all the 68 only bits and a pair of recaro front seats. I've just bought a new welder and will be making a start on the chassis over the next day or so.

Good luck with the resto ;)

Cant decide if the caddy script on the sliding door is cool or really really shit :lol:
I guess we know which you think.

Latest posts