68 RHD Sunroof Deluxe From up North to Wales

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Andy
The plan is to get both sides fully welded and ground back this weekend!!!!!
I would like to be able to go to Brighton Breeze so need to get cracking.
:mrgreen:

Tried the sunroof in today just to be sure it still fits! :D
vr9.jpg

vr10.jpg

Get welding it fully now.

The towers on the beam werent too healthy so cut old metal out and replaced with 5mm plate.
Should be stronger than original now and cope better with the Red 9.

beam.jpg

Got 2 sliding door handle bezels,Chrome U Bolt and chrome vent trims.
Might sell them on at the end of my rebuild as got doubles now.
deluxe.jpg

D@VEY said:
Got 2 sliding door handle bezels,Chrome U Bolt and chrome vent trims.
Might sell them on at the end of my rebuild as got doubles now.
deluxe.jpg

First dibs on chrome U bolt please :D ....thats if you decide to sell :oops:

Roof sorted now and working.
Few coats of filler primer ready for paint! :mrgreen:

vanr2.jpg

vanr1.jpg

vanr3.jpg

vanr4.jpg

Cheers moler
Its has been a big worry for me! not perfect but certainly dont stand out like a ~Dogs D**k :oops:

scott wilson said:
D@vey,
wow.Do you have much history with the bus.Also did it have the usa style rear reverse lights when you bare metalled it.If not did it have weird holes front and back about 6mm wide?
I ask as i believe you are restoring a genuine rhd deluxe sunroof model.I also believe that the paint colour is south african, however the m-codes say otherwise.Maybe an export collect on your holiday model! who knows.Now you have my intrest and as much help as you need
Scott

Scott, do you have any pictures of these holes you mention? Ive got an original rhd deluxe sunroof model supplied new in the UK ( according to the m plate)
Most of the sheet metal is original and at the back it has 2 holes about the same size as you mention, there arent any on the front but this has had some work done in the past so may have been filled in. The guy I bought it from said the bus had been in the uk from new and I still have the original yellow and white metal plates with plastic letters as was common around 72 ( year of my bus)
What are the holes for? not many right hooker sunroof crossovers to compare it to :?

Ive reskinned both doors now with a good thick coat of 2k paint and a few strips of flash band on them.

door1.jpg

door3.jpg

door2.jpg

Made some new floor to go in the cab. Tried to keep the pressings in them as close as I could.

floor.jpg

Have had much inspiration from this thread ;) awesome job.
Can I ask what your doing with the holes you've opened up for accessing the drain tubes? are you welding them up again after.

Hi that is the plan to weld the holes back up. Im a bit worried about the heat melting the pipe though! :shock:

That was my worry, my main problem is at the top fronts which will be covered by the headlining, on the middle 2 ive managed to fit some smaller diameter pipe inside the steel pipe, the backs are fine but have fitted T pieces into the rubber to pick up the temporary pipes fom the front, works ok if you park up hill :lol:

wibbler said:
That was my worry, my main problem is at the top fronts which will be covered by the headlining, on the middle 2 ive managed to fit some smaller diameter pipe inside the steel pipe, the backs are fine but have fitted T pieces into the rubber to pick up the temporary pipes fom the front, works ok if you park up hill :lol:

Have you put water down them yet to test? Mine were rotten inside thats why I had to make the cuts better to do it sooner than later.The pipes have got a few welds on them inside and are a pig to get out!!!!!

Yes, both the fronts have holes in the pipe that comes from the roof opening, the pipes down the B posts seem fine, the middles have rotted away in the posts due mainly to the PO replacing the lower panels without an exit hole :roll: They were full of silicone at the top to fill them in, the backs fine, hoping to cut the inner top panel enough at the fronts to cut the pipe back enough and fit a rubber hose over them and hope the tube is still ok.
The bus did spend most of its early life undercover so hoping its not too bad in there. Now whos idea at VW was it to use a steel pipe to drain the water away :evil:

Bought a new case drillded and tapped for full flow and Gene berg pump cover and 041 heads... He bought them brand new in the 90,s and had them machined for 1776 and then stored them in his garage never used!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
He did paint case orange though so started getting that off today.
eng.jpg

head041.jpg

Latest posts