68 Western Panel Van - Operation On The Road!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i love mk2`s aswell, but i only bought it as a run around until i get the van on the road but it might end up hanging around - don`t tell my girlfriend!

i know how you feel mate. i'd love to add a mk2 to the fleet but the wife wouldnt be pleased. maybe one day i'll just sneak one round the workshop when shes not looking :D

can wait to see this van run again. next to gadgets old panel this is a true resurection from something that was layed up years ago.

Looking good Mike , Early Bay Panel Van and a Mk 2 Gti Good taste mate 8) 8)

Keep it up fella ;)

So..... - going to be getting the lowerng stick out this weekend - adjusters at the front but not sure on the rear - 1 spline or 2 !!???

No probs getting wheels on and off at the mo as the rear arches have been cut out!

i`ll wait and see - might not even get round to the back this weekend.

didn`t get loads done today - managed to get the beam out in between bouts of heavy rain -

Image302.jpg

came to drilling the divots out to loosen the central retainer and unfortunately my drill chose this moment to break on me :cry:

i have invested in a new one though and some shiney new drill bits too so hopefully tomorrow i`ll finish this off.

mike.s said:
So..... - going to be getting the lowerng stick out this weekend - adjusters at the front but not sure on the rear - 1 spline or 2 !!???
Def deserves 2 at back,and K&L narrowed front would polish it off a treat bud,but not cheap !!!Sweet panel mate...
No probs getting wheels on and off at the mo as the rear arches have been cut out!

wow.... nice panel van :) just looked through this thread & noticed your in weymouth, im in bridport, so might see it about as we go to weymouth alot.
keep up the good work ;)

would have loved to do a king and link pin narrowed front end and flipped spindles but i just can`t justify the £1000 or so it`d cost - maybe eventually!

baj - if your down in weymouth often, your most likely to see me parked up in chesil beach car park as i do alot of kitesurfing in portland harbour :D - i work in yeovil so not about in the week so much.

anyway - i had a FAR more productive day today!

with my new drill and bits, i cut the beam up and drilled the divots out -

Image305.jpg

with the retainer freed up , i welded the steering pin pivot thing back on and some nice new adjusters too!

Image306.jpg

Image307.jpg

bit of a rush to get everyting done and bolted back up before dark so i could move the van and free up my girlfriends parking space (!) but i managed to get it all done.

here`s before -

Image300.jpg

afterwards, i haven`t lowered it down to the height i`d like but i had to drop it slightly so the gear shift rod doesn`t foul the top adjuster nut (is this a normal thing - i haven`t fitted adjusters before and was wondering what i`d do if you wanted to raise it back to stock height!

you can see its dropped slightly -

Image308.jpg

afterwards, i thought i`d have a quick look at the graffiti on the side of the van as it was going dark...

something starting to be revealed...

Image309.jpg

afterwards, i haven`t lowered it down to the height i`d like but i had to drop it slightly so the gear shift rod doesn`t foul the top adjuster nut (is this a normal thing - i haven`t fitted adjusters before and was wondering what i`d do if you wanted to raise it back to stock height!

I'm not sure but if it's any consolation my 68 does/did it too - it fouls and I'll need to drop it to clear - I did cut a notch out of the gear front rod to help - my worry is when I use dropped spindles I may not want the adjusters turned that much - oh well we'll see.

not updated here in a bit - i had to put a new engine in my golf as the engine gave up the ghost unfortunately - certainly quite a bit more involved than a van engine!

anyway, managed to get a few bits done - i finished the fornt suspension off - have fitted all new ball joints, wheel bearings and new brakes all round -

Image312.jpg

the back end had had a bit of bash at some point - ouch! i couldn`t attach the engine lid because of this. i gave it a good go trying to push it out with a scissor jack but no joy so decided to cut the panel out and weld it out.

quite a big dent really!
100_3978.JPG

100_3979.JPG

Image314.jpg

cut out
Image316.jpg

all welded in
Image330.jpg

i`ve painted it since too and all looks good :D

i also had a look at the rear valance which was in the van - this is possibly the most dented i`ve seen! it had about an inch of filler in it - i looked like a snowman after grinding it all out!

Image317.jpg

i think i`ll have to get a new rear valance at some point as even after bashing it around/jumping on it etc it still doesn`t fit very well - will have to do for the time being though - at least there is no filler now!

managed to get the front headlamps converted to uk spec with the side lights in them and fitted indicators too and rear lights. i need to put a feed in for the brake lights still though.

had a few issues with the steering box in that its completely goosed! have ordered a recon one from megabug so hope thats ok - comes with a years guarantee! i had to cut the steering arm off with the angle grinder to get it off!

so..... just lowering the rear, bleed brakes, horn, fit steering box, seat belts, wipers, rear bumper ....

might even be tempted to book an mot..... :!:

MOT is booked !!!

Thursday afternoon! Wish me luck!

Not much in pics at the mo as i`ve been going round doing all the little stuff that needs doing but all adds up.

The back end is sitting a little lower now - much better stance. New steering box fitted. I couldn`t understand how the indicator shroud is meant to stay in place - mine spins on the steering column. i eventually realised that i was missing a small plate inside which bites into the column and secures it. Took alot of head scratching that one but i fabbed up a small plate and its all nice and tight now.

When i connected my washers up, they worked pretty well but unfotrunately water poured out of the switch - tried everything, cleaning it etc but couldn`t fix it so i`m going to order a new bottle with electric pump on it - best keeping water and electricity seperate in my books!

I then had loads of wiring problems - headights wouldn`t work and the flasher on the indicator stalk wouldn`t work - took ages to figure out why - i even took the flasher relay to bits to check it was ok. turned out that the flasher on the indicator stalk is earthed through the wiper switch!! all sorted now though - even got the hazards working and the horn is possibly the loudest i`ve ever heard.

So i just need a tailgate and engine lid mechanism, passenger inside door handle, rear bumper mounts and washers..... i think!

i also t-cut a bit of the orange paint just before i came in and it came up really well - can`t wait to have a proper go at it!
mike

good luck with the MOT,

mine is hopefully going in for its first one on friday, and all the stuff you have done is almost identical to my bus, although you have far more skills than i have
8)

Fingers crossed here Mike, good luck for Thursday :)

Only seems like yesterday that I delivered this down to Weymouth

Failed! :sad0049:

But not too bad - i had to take to a garage i`ve never been too due to some unfortunate circumstances and the guy who ran it really didn`t like my van!! Lots of swearing and muttering when he was going round it.

But it failed on excessive play in the steering - a ball joint in the steering drag link is completely shagged - cant` believe i missed it although i knew there was something very wrong with steering when driving it down there - could hardly keep it in a straight line!

And sharp edges where the rear arches have been cut out - doh! i`ll bend the edge back and apply a bit of tape for the time being!

Also, bizarrely enough windscreen wipers not clearing screen properly even though i fitted new rubbers. Think it was just years of grime that has built up - hopefully a bit of a clean and polish will sort that.

here i am ! -

Image365.jpg

Image367.jpg

Latest posts