68 Western Panel Van - Operation On The Road!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is really easy to go through the paint too far!

went for a drive in it yesterday - the longest i `ve been out in it!

i reset the tracking and fitted a new steering damper, took it a mates house who had a drive and confirmed that the steering is not bad at all - he had the van a t 65mph and didn`t look to flustered at that point :lol:

i`m getting used to it aswell - its sooo much better now i`ve done the tracking!

here`s a pic in the car park next to the beach - should have really took it from the oher side :lol:

Image469.jpg

A lot of steering wander comes from the tracking and tyres, even with wear in the whole thing as long as these two area's are good you can usually steer pretty comfortably without having to battle with the wheel. Glad your enjoying driving the van now

Great thread Mike 8)

Looks cool in the last pic.............hope you enjoy using it after all the hard graft

Just

Looking good fella , Fun turning left at junctions isn't it 8) :lol:

Grazy said:
Looking good fella , Fun turning left at junctions isn't it 8) :lol:

its even more of a lottery reversing right in a very crowded car park!! :lol:

been doing loads of miles to and from work and all over the place - here i am in portland car park - :)

Image470.jpg

work is a 60 mile round trip every day so i`ve really been using it aswell - doing 50-60mph most of the time too. Its all (touch wood!) been driving well too - engine seems nice and happy and van cruises well. Until i hit a steep hill that it! But i guess thats pretty standard stuff!!

I went to the weymouth show on sunday - spent ages beforehand polishing and cleaning the van all up - was really looking forward to putting it on display - i turned up at 10.30, half an hour after the gates had opened and i was turned away at the gate and told to park in the main car park as they were already full - gutted! Think they really should try and get a bigger venue next time!

I have to admit over the last few days, i`ve been having second thoughts about keeping the van - i like it, but to be honest, the fuel economy takes a little to be desired doing 60 miles a day and although i thought i`d get used to the vision ( or lack of it!), it is quite discerning manouvering around etc. I`m really umming and arring about whether to sell it or not at the moment. :|

its a lovely panel that is tax free and cheap as chips to insure. Have you thought about getting a £500 polo or mk3 golf as a daily you'll get your money back in under a year and you get to keep you cool ass van

unfortunately i just don`t have the cash to buy , insure, tax and run a second car - i do have a mk2 golf gti which i used as a run around - i lost money on this though as the engine blew on it and had to fit a 2nd hand one myself - this is up for sale at the mo as i owe the money!

going to see how it goes over the next week or 2 anyway - still haven`t decided!

would be a damn shame to sell it after all the hard work :( but at <25 a gallon on a 60 mile round trip thats got to sting the pocket.

its look the bollox to be sure

yeah - been trying to get an accurate mpg - first time i calculated, i got 23 mpg, then last night it took £11.81 to fill up after the round trip at 60 miles which is nearly 28mpg. going to fill it again tonight on the way home. Its difficult as the tank doesn`t fill that easily and the pump tends to click off early!

mike.s said:
yeah - been trying to get an accurate mpg - first time i calculated, i got 23 mpg, then last night it took £11.81 to fill up after the round trip at 60 miles which is nearly 28mpg. going to fill it again tonight on the way home. Its difficult as the tank doesn`t fill that easily and the pump tends to click off early!

Everyone is feeling the fuel pinch but after all the effort and money you've spent on this bus you should reaccess the situation. I sold a car (Fabia VRs) I really enjoyed owning/driving (for famiy reasons) and have regretted it ever since.

Could you use the Golf money to carry out an LPG conversion on your bus, fit some low rolling resistance tyres then your fuel bills would be halved.

Des

Mike

I agree with all the sentiments of everyone else, don't do it.

I have to say I've been hugely impressed by what you have achieved in the short time since I delivered down to Weymouth for you and its a credit to you to have got it up and running so quickly, I think you might regret it if you sold it now but I suppose at the end of the day its got to be cost effective.

LPG would be a good idea, I think Chrisby on here has one fitted to his bus and LPG is half the cost of petrol and you would easily recover the cost of install if youy do that many miles a day.

Good luck with whatever you decide and well done fella :mrgreen:

http://www.vwkd.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:msn4: :msn4: :msn4:

all the bits you need mate.

faster, more mpg, and when you have more money upgrade to a pd and blow everyone away. :D

Gutted for you if you have to part ways with the bus after what you have done - but if funds are tight, you will probably have no choice :(

going to have think about it over the weekend and the different options - helping a mate raise (!) the suspension of his squareback tomorrow so will see what he says too.

It`s basically about a few things - i can only afford to run one vehicle and don`t have space for 2 anyway. Also , i can`t afford any more mods/alterations to it at the mo.

Ah well - i`ll see what happens over weekend!

Seems a great shame to sell as it's a very unique and original van, can't believe it was used as a sign just goes to show how much vdubs have appreciated!

The cut arches make it look like an American dragster bus lol.

Good luck with the sale.

Or do as the ^^ and convert to diesel power.

mike.

Well, its taken alot of thought over the last week or so - its practically the only thing i`ve been thinking about!

It looks great and is going to make a fantastic van for someone who`ll really appreciate it. Its taken a lot for me to admit it to myself, but i prefer aircooled cars. The best one i ever had was a 64 notchback so when i sell the van, i`m going buy a nice squareback which will drive as i like it and i can also get all my gear in the back easily.

Everyones a winner - a rare 67 panel is back on the road, someone will have fantastic van and i`ll be happier with a squareback :mrgreen:

Latest posts