68 Western Panel Van - Operation On The Road!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Image362.jpg

Image361.jpg

Image363.jpg

By the way - do you get used to the complete lack of being able to anything in a panel van!! Never driven a vw van before today!!

Mike

Gutted for you after the hard work you have put in to get this bus on the road in such a short space of time, you could put a rubber edging over the cut rear wings for the time being if you didn't want to fold the edges.

Sounds like the tester didn't want to pass it anyway, good luck with the retest.

GSF do a complete replacement drag arm for the steering for about £25, I know as I had to fit one as Arnie failed his last MOT on the same thing, made a massive difference to how it drove and I hadn't spotted it either!!

yeah - but not too bad though :) I didn`t think he was even going to mot it for me at first as he couldn`t work out what to put for the registration and then he couldn`t find the model so had to type it in! And to be fair, they couldn`t believe how clean it was underneath!

thanks for the pointer on the drag arm - i`m going to go and take it off now to have a proper look at it.

Well impressed at your pre-mot checks, when I put mine for it's first test it failed on no less than 17 things!!
You will soon get used to the lack of vision in a lhd panel van if you're running it as a daily, that said I don't go on the motorway if I'm by myself in the van unless I'm in a convoy, the blind spot is about 10 seconds :shock: :shock:

Shame bout the mot,glad it wasnt owt serious though.

I always really clean my screen outside the mot place,harder for them to see where the wipers miss!

van looks great in your latest pics 8)

just want to get it registered now!

vans booked back in for thursday afternoon (or sooner if i can get work to agree to an afternoon off before then!).

bought some new wiper blades from chavfords this afternoon and now they work perfectly - springy-ness on old blades must`nt have been up to the job.

Took the old drag arm off and yes the ball joints were pretty loose so i`ve ordered a new one of them to fit. And also ordered some rubber trim to fit to the rear wheel arches until i can afford to buy some rear arches to weld in :)

Its going to be good! Should have a full mot in a week! :D

Just read the whole thing. I almost bought this bus, like standing there looking at it and didnt. I'm glad I didnt. You gave it a better home faster than I could. Very very nice work. I'm super glad to see it on the road.

Gently use EZOFF on the spray paint decals to see if the VW symbol below comes out.

Kirk said:
Just read the whole thing. I almost bought this bus, like standing there looking at it and didnt. I'm glad I didnt. You gave it a better home faster than I could. Very very nice work. I'm super glad to see it on the road.

Gently use EZOFF on the spray paint decals to see if the VW symbol below comes out.

hey kirk - good to hear from someone who saw it on the other side of the pond - `id be really interested to know where you saw it, etc, any more info?

i have managed to uncover the vw sign on one side although its not as bright as the "Western" bit - wire wool seems to be the key - will have to get some pics up.

all ready for retest on thursday - have fitted a new drag arm, new washer jets and wipers sorted now - had a look at the rear arches - they`re not that bad - i might just put a bit of tape on them for the mot.

i noticed the pinch bolt that holds the pvoit arm on the idler pin wasn`t quite tight too so thats sorted - hopefully less than 75mm play now. Could really do with taking it or a drive to check but will have to wait until the drive to the mot!!

i really must do something about the bent front bumper - starting to bug me now!

Well done Mike, knowing what the bus was like when you started its clear you have worked flat out to get it done, again very well done and possibly one of the quickest restos I've seen on here yet.

thanks guys - still can`t believe i`ve got it mot`d!! Just been down to dvla - all went well there and they said i can pick up the registration on tues but i`ll have it posted to me i think.

it`ll be nice now to test things out by taking it or a test drive! It handles pretty well now i think although i`ve never actually been a passenger nevermind driven a bay window before this! The engine seems sluggish and having just had a look at it, i `ve realised the vacuum is punctured on the dizzy - i was lucky to get up the steep hill to the mot place!

I REALLY can`t wait to get the plates and get it out on the road properly!!!!!

Oh, and to top it all off, i got engaged at the weekend too :mrgreen: I`m suprised she said yes after all the time i`ve spent on the van recently!!!!!!

Latest posts