'69 Westfalia Tin Top

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wishart

Reaction score
Im very happy to be returning to the Earlybay world, with this... a 1969 Westfalia walkthrough. Im picking it up on Tuesday :D

Unfortunately the only existing westfalia parts inside are a buddy seat and most of the wood headlining and panel trims. Im guessing at the moment, but I THINK its Montana Red - its 99% OG paint with some lovely patina on the roof (hidden by the monsterous roofrack!)

Camper9.jpg

19052010348.jpg

_MG_0510.jpg

_MG_0524.jpg

_MG_0512.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

Camper2.jpg

19052010339.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

Camper1.jpg

_MG_0527.jpg

Plans are already afoot - enquiries have been made... first off though is the spare wheel :lol: I HATE THAT!!! Then we are gonna run with out the roof rack till we need it as i cant hide that sunburn. Can anyone suggest how i might go about cleaning up the paint? I just want to clean up some of the stains on it, keeping it OG but clean. Then when its all clean i may try waxing it or sealing it somehow...again, suggestions??

I will be making a call to Slamwerks in the next week or two as its just not low or narrow enough. Its been lowered with a cut and turned beam which i really dont like. After that, im thinking some new wheels.... as much as I love stock rims, i want to go different with this one. Possibly polished American Eagle 5s, or detailed Raders.

Then the interior.... retrim all round! I like the full width Rock and Roll bed, just need to beef up the foams and get it matching (tastefully) front to back. Im thinking nice cream or off white, phat panelling, contrasting piping.... nice floor.... clean and simple! Im gonna source a matching Westy buddy seat to put in place of the cooker unit, with a view to creating a single bed out of it by bridging the walkthrough. I want to clean up the cab area too, just small things like adding some kick panels, add a horn push, removing the button-start iginition and putting it back the the key/ignition. How easy is that?? Im a little annoyed with the dash and the two holes cut out of it. Whats the best way of sorting? Fill the holes (with stereo and blanking plate) or replace the dash??

haha, ive just seen how much ive actually been planning this now!!! :D :D

Awesome :D

Glad you bought this, i went to view it a while back. Its a very nice bay with bags of potential. Look forward to what you do to it :)

Dont wanna sell the rack do you?

Cheers guys, potential is a good word at this stage lol. Freddie, I am toying with the idea of selling the roofrack as it's a lot bigger than what we need. You want to make an offer? A mate of mine is also interested in it but money talks as they say ;)

freddie said:

Glad you bought this, i went to view it a while back. Its a very nice bay with bags of potential. Look forward to what you do to it :)

me too :D but the rocker cover gasket went and it dumped some oil and while he was sorting it i bought mine.

Are you going as low as you last bus ?

Looks like a great project van and like your ideas for it 8)

Can't help with the paint queries I'm afraid, but looking forward to your next installments ;)

dubscum said:
freddie said:

me too :D but the rocker cover gasket went and it dumped some oil and while he was sorting it i bought mine.

thats interesting... when was it you looked at it? The engine was stripped and rebuilt in march this year apparently? I had a good look around the under side, 'specially the engine area as my old bus had rocker cover issues and it all seemed pretty tight and dry.

I hope to go as low as my last bus 8) it was a slamwerks job last time and i cant see any reason why i shouldnt go with it again :D

I can tell you where the westy interior is from this bus........ its in my bus!!

I bought it from the guy who originally had the bus in Cornwall 3 years ago.

really???? haha, how about that! I would have liked the westy interior to be honest, but for what we have planned, im happy with what we got. Just got a rather tasty quote of £800 to retrim everything inside, inc cab seats, r&r bed and rear matress with new foam, x2 buddy seats and all the door cards and trim panels!

still cant decide on wheels...

Wishart said:
really???? haha, how about that! I would have liked the westy interior to be honest, but for what we have planned, im happy with what we got. Just got a rather tasty quote of £800 to retrim everything inside, inc cab seats, r&r bed and rear matress with new foam, x2 buddy seats and all the door cards and trim panels!

still cant decide on wheels...

Looks like this is going to be a smart bus, did you buy it from a guy in Harborough?

Where are you getting the interior work done? I'm after some re-trimming in mine when I've saved the cash & was hoping to find somewhere localish.

Dave

bought it from a chap in Brackley, who hasnt owned it very long. I emailed about 15 different auto-trimmers and i was getting an average quote of around £1200-£1300 for everything I wanted doing, but the guy who has come up trumps in my book is Dubholstery, in Warwickshire. Had a good look through his gallery and im pretty satisfied that he can do what i want done.

Wishart said:
dubscum said:
freddie said:

thats interesting... when was it you looked at it? The engine was stripped and rebuilt in march this year apparently? I had a good look around the under side, 'specially the engine area as my old bus had rocker cover issues and it all seemed pretty tight and dry.

I hope to go as low as my last bus 8) it was a slamwerks job last time and i cant see any reason why i shouldnt go with it again :D

i bought my bus is march so it must have been around that time, he did message or text me around april last year asking if i was still interested in it at a lower price without and engine, i said no then he messaged me to say it had a rebuilt engine fitted, but i had bought mine by then, if not i would have had it. not sure if it was the same owner how i spoke with, he was a surfer and a bit to laid back :lol: took him 2 weeks to return a text.

slamwerks is the place to slam an early 8)

:lol: it must have been the previous owner to the guy i bought it from. He's only had it a matter of weeks, but needs to move it on to purchase more Bugs :D They are very good with communication I have to say, been really easy doing the deal!

Ive just been readin through your thread on the work you did to your bus again, love that! Who did you use to upholster your cushions etc.?

Slamwerks Rock! 8)

a lad called ali stokes from castle donnington, really top work and dead cheap as he normally does sofa's and shit but has been doing it for years and has a real talent for it, i told him he should make some templates up and earn good money. if you want i can have a word and get really good mates rates >?

ah cool dubscum, yeah id be interested to see some samples and/or a quote from him... if he can beat £800 then he will be getting a call :D

bottom rung said:
Thats nice! Are you planning a trip north in it? I'm looking forward to seeing this one in the flesh!

some day for sure! It was a shame i didnt get the dormobile up there when i had it! You should try getting down to some shows too

Latest posts