70 savannah beige deluxe (the 'baygel' bus)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
andyo11 said:
Hey thanks for that, very interesting been through the whole album. Looks like it was notched for the drive shafts and the track rods which is all I'm after really, lovin the blokes garage wish I had space like that !

Glad to help buddy
I wish i had a garage like that too :cry:

Paul 8)

Did a bit more work on the bus the weekend, got the rear indicators wired up through the reverse lights. It was far easier than i thought it would be. Adjusted the rear brakes and tightened up the handbrake.

For the MOT ive still got to check why the horn wires are disconnected and get it working, get and fit some uk spec sealed beam units and wire up the front sidelights and fit the orange bulbs i bought today for the rear indicators. Get another wing mirror glass cut at work as i broke one :roll:

Also got to change 2 of the cv boots i already fitted but im not going to say any more about that :evil:

If i can do all of the above in the next week and a half then im thinking of booking it in for the MOT on the Saturday after next

More soon, Paul 8)

Mini update, ive fitted some beetle headlights, wired up the front sidelights, sorted the horn wiring, fitted 2 more new cv boots
Its ready for an mot :shock: so fingers crossed I can get it in the mot station tomorrow and I get a pass :msn4:

I'll keep you posted ;)
Cheers, Paul

easterfarmmotbus618.jpg
:D :D :D

I had an eventfull day to say the least, it broke down on the way home after its mot and i had to get towed home :evil:
It had the worst flat spot ever and it wouldn't let me drive at all, my brother soon sorted it once it was home though :D

Its a case of two steps forward and one step back though as the gearbox is making a horid screeching noise when I dip the clutch, so ive got to take the engine back out and check the release bearing etc to see where the noise is coming from.
The bus also got an advisory for play in all 4 track rod end balljoints so thats got to be done too.
Plus the accelerator cable is a bit sticky so i've got to fit a new cable.
But ive got a MOT pass now so I can register it now so im happy.

Hers a photo of my new headlights & the badge fitted
easterfarmmotbus646.jpg

I took a few photos of the interior too as I realised I hadn't posted any yet

The middle & rear seats along with the interior panels are in a nice used but complete state (although some of the corners and edges of the interior panels need glueing down)
but the front seat covers are in a way worse condition so I had a look at the TMI covers at the volksworld show and I was pretty pleased with the price, guality and colours, just got to make a decision on the colours and buy a set now
easterfarmmotbus624.jpg

easterfarmmotbus623.jpg

easterfarmmotbus625.jpg

easterfarmmotbus629.jpg

easterfarmmotbus631.jpg

i think the cream on the left
easterfarmmotbus632.jpg

and the tan isnt too far off either, will be spot on once the covers are a bit dirty ;)
easterfarmmotbus636.jpg

headliner needs a few small repairs but is plenty good enough
easterfarmmotbus626.jpg

easterfarmmotbus627.jpg

Anyone know if you can buy cab mats and the ones that go over your front arch in brown?
As mine are really crumbly and bits keep breaking off, if i can only get black i might get some of those mad mats as i think they might look ok as they are brownish :?

Paul 8)

Really liking this bus, looking well cool and love the rims too they work well on it.

I too had brown mats in mine but took 'em out to fit black, don't think you can get brown under seat mats, just take out the black and give the paint a good clean up.

resto73 said:
The bus also got an advisory for play in all 4 track rod end balljoints

You're running balljoints? ... Fucking hell! :shock:

Congratulations on the MOT Paul, looks awesome. 8)

Another update after a busy saturday

I took the engine out and swapped the pressure plates to another one i had and i've solved the noise. Then took my accelerator cable out and straightened out the kinks, fitted a new accelerator cable conduit that it runs in from the chassis to the fan shround and theres no resistance now and my throttle is lovely and smooth.
Then popped over to kingfisher kustoms and picked up 4 new tie rod ends and fitted them, then did the tracking :D
Then fixed my broken drivers side front 1/4 light catch
It drives lovely though 8)
Just got to get the carbs balanced and its done for a while until I do the bigger chassis notches, but i just want to enjoy it for a while as it is

My cover notes turned up too so im planning on going to the worcester DVLA office on tuesday to hopefully register it, fingers crossed I don't have any problems with that

Next job is fitting the z bed hinges and some better front seat belts

Oh and i also ordered my new TMI interior seat covers from heritage so they'll be with me in a month or so :)

Cheers, Paul 8)

Today I started the process to register my bus :D
I had all the required paperwork and i'd filled the form in correctly too so it'll be registered on thursday (as an mpv :shock:)
They are posting me my documents so if I get them in time and can get my carbs balanced i'll be taking it to dustypes for the day on sunday
If not then bigbang will be its first uk show

I had a look at fitting the z bed hinges too today, everythings all mocked up, just need to ''borrow'' some tec-bolts from work tomorrow to fix them in

Paul 8)

Mate.
I stumbled on this pic. of your bus in pre. slammed state on the samba......don't know if you've seen it but here it is anyway.
2349879980043168673S500x500Q85.jpg

Cool , yeah i've seen that photo before, strangely i like the look of it stock height :oops:

Right its been ages since i updated this but its because ive been in the garage getting a 1302 gearbox to fit as the gearing on the eb gearbox is so bad and it was doing about 4,000rpm at 50pmh (mainly caused by my 165/65/15 rear tyres, but for me its fashion over function :lol: )

Im 90% done on that, by the weekend i'll have finished it
Hopefully the gearbox is a good one after all this work as it was an ebay bargain :roll:

I also got my TMI front seat covers in the post so pics of them fitted will follow shortly

Paul 8)

Don't know how i missed this thread! Really glad i found it.
One funkin ace bus. 8) Just love them wheels!
Also seems to be a bit of a theme with the buses you have had. ;)

Latest posts