70 savannah beige deluxe (the 'baygel' bus)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking verry nice, is it me or does there seemto be a lot of light getting in to your garage!

nnneewwwoonneess153.jpg

ground hugger said:
Very nice,loving the Patina 8)
You must have good roads in Redditch if your going an inch lower :shock:

the roads arent too bad to be fair and theres only one road with speed bumps and it avoidable
luckily for me redditch is mainly duel carridgeways, my drive is the only issue, might have to pay to get the kerb dropped as its a right steep angle to get on and off

AxlFoley said:
Looking verry nice, is it me or does there seemto be a lot of light getting in to your garage!

thanks for pointing that out :roll: :lol:
yeah it a converted car port and the roof is corrigated perspex
going to put a propper roof on it this summer though, long overdue as it leaks like a seive

thanks for the comments guys, Paul 8)

Another mini update

This week I finished the engine bay wiring (converting it from dynamo to alternator)

Took both the front and rear screen out to change the rubbers and check for rot
im very supprised that the front screen recess isnt rotten as it looked like it was going to be, they were both really solid :D
just two tiny pin holes that i'll just metal glue as they really are too small to bother trying to weld

Before...
newnewnew220.jpg

newnewnew227.jpg

After i gave the surface rust a bit of a rub down, painted it in red oxide primer
newnewnew221.jpg

newnewnew228.jpg

then a thick coat of savannah beige 8)
newnewnew254.jpg

newnewnew250.jpg

Should hopefully get the front & rear screens in over the weekend, with the front screen i got off ozzy67, the front chrome trim I got from Graham at FBI 8) and the the rear one I got from Crewcab

I also bought some supplies this week so I can start on the few small rust repairs that need doing
I got some welding wire, sheet steel, tin snips, wire linishing wheel for my drill & some thin cutting discs
more103.jpg

i'll update my progress after Saturdays work, wish me luck :lol:

Paul

Good Luck for tomorrow dude , I gotta replace my front n rear window rubbers , will be using your tips on painting edges before putting rubbers/ windows back in ;)

i like fresh painted buses but the patina on this is amazing, really subtle but dead solid 8)

Another update, I have been a busy boy :D

On Saturday the few small rust repairs got sorted ...drivers side cab floor, drivers side outer sill, battery tray and the drivers side inner arch(although i forgot to take photos of that weld :roll: )
I can't take any credit for the welding as it was all done by my brother. I cut the rot out, cleaned up the areas, cut the repair panels then went on fire watch whilst he welded the fresh metal in. Once the welding was done I then ground off some of the proud welds & seam sealed them top and botom, just needs some primer and some savannah beige 8)

cab floor before
more104.jpg

rot cut out
more110.jpg

welded in
more118.jpg

welds ground
more120.jpg

seam sealed
more124.jpg

seam sealed below
more126.jpg

same with the sill
more116.jpg

more123.jpg

and the battery tray
more127.jpg

and below
more131.jpg

I know i went a bit overboard with the seam sealer but i wanted to use it as a bit of a water seal.

Then today after I got back from the ditch dubbers annual cruise, it was still light and not too cold so i got the front and rear screens in. My brother and my best mate were eager to help. I think they felt sorry for me as i had to ride shotgun on the cruise instead of being in my bus. The job was made easy as there was 3 of us.

screensssss016.jpg

screensssss019.jpg

and fitted
screensssss022.jpg

screensssss024.jpg

Need to give them a bit of a clean i think :lol:

This week im going to cut down the engine support bar an inch or so and weld it back up

Cheers, Paul 8)

Another update from last weekend

Suturday i modified my engine support bar as it was very close to the floor and it would stop me going lower
before
lotsofphotossomeofthemarepaulsbu-2.jpg

cut
lotsofphotossomeofthemarepaulsbu-5.jpg

welded, welds ground and painted
lotsofphotossomeofthemarepaulsbu-12.jpg

fitted...more clearance :D
newbies023.jpg

Then fitted my new bumper
newbies014.jpg

My sliding door panel and front badge also arived (after having to pay a further £25 :roll: )
the panel has a bit of a rip in the centre but it will be repaired
I need to get some clips to fit the badge
newbies018.jpg

Sunday i painted the few welded bits

newbies010.jpg

newbies009.jpg

not 100% straight but i didnt want to use filler

And fitted my new t2d adjustable springplates, i decided to use them aswell as the widefive step up brackets for the time being, until its mot'd then i can notch the rear chassis more
I also ground a little off the bottom of the casting so the arms can drop that little bit extra so i can get the wheels on and off
newbies004.jpg

newbies005.jpg

Then filled her with petrol and fired her up, she purred like a dream

Then took her for a spin around my close to see how shes sitting

newbies019.jpg

newbies020.jpg

newbies021.jpg

Needs to go lower but it has more chance of going on the MOT'ers ramp at this height
exhaust and heat exchangers bottomed out at this height getting on the drive though :shock:
newbies025.jpg

j-tubes are needed i think

I think my son likes it
newbies029.jpg

I haven't got a great deal to do for the MOT now, next few jobs are...
wire rear indicators through the reverse lights
adjust the brakes
see why the horn isnt working

Cheers, Paul 8)

Lookin real nice dude, can you tell me what you have done with the rear chassis so far, have you notched it yet ? trying to find out how low you can go without notching.

Thanks for the comments guys, im really looking forward to the summer in the beast 8)

Andyo11, Yeah it was notched in the US by the last owner
He makes the bolt on lowering brackets similar to the ones for sale on here from crewcab
With those on you'd have to go pretty low to need to notch it for the arm
My rear chassis is only notched for the driveshafts, its not enough for them to run in just to stop them hitting the chassis on bug bumps etc
If you look at the photos of when i first got it you can judge the height you can go with just a small notch and the drop plates
but it did have pretty low profile 14's on and the top end was crap to say the least

Im going to have to notch the rear for the driveshafts to run in and for the arms to not hit on big bumps as i want to go lower, but it'll be after the MOT so i can drive it somewhere with better tools than in my garage to do the work

I havent taken any photos of the chassis notches but heres the link to his build album
http://rides.webshots.com/album/568293223AIHEHX?start=36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope that helps, Paul 8)

Now that is a sweet bus, good work, well worth all the time and effort. 8)

Hey thanks for that, very interesting been through the whole album. Looks like it was notched for the drive shafts and the track rods which is all I'm after really, lovin the blokes garage wish I had space like that !

Latest posts