71 Dormobile Spruce Up........

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
71Dormobile said:
Thanks for the feedback all it has given me a more ideas, had considered re veenering the units before but may look back into this as it may prove more cost effective / do able.

I invested in a router - purchased veneer and went at my westy interior - my whole interior took 2 sheets - just under £100 all in.

Before....

04062007051.jpg

04062007052.jpg

After.....

04102007239.jpg

04102007240.jpg

Cheers Johnny reckon Chianti Red will go down a treat, and the camper will look good in red as well...

Nice interior work buddysbuddy would like to go that way also but reckon it'd take me a simialr amount of time to cut a new plank of timber out and will leave a few options slight tweaks etc. Still hanging doors around the house at the mo, can't wait to get the van back and get stuck into finnishing it off.

Fantastic thread and set of pictures - just seen it for the first time.
Really nice to see these start-to-finish jobs in pictures.

Cheers for the feedback Angus, nothing to report more recently the van is being progressed at teh Spray shop, the insides being started first and I guess then the outside of the bus will start to get a few layers of pastel and then the Chianti.

Hopefully by the end of September I should be popping the windows in and cracking on with the interior. Need to get my arse in gear and start the interior spruce up just need to get the planks and make a start....

OK been a while and just got a few pics of the works as they stand at the end of Sept. Not quite ready for popping windows in but starting to really take shape now and has some pastel on the inside.....

IMG_3675.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

Cheers all.

Bus is coming along now the pop top is progressing and hoping to have pastel white colour on by the weekend.

Got a few more pics which I'll load and pop on laters, will hopefully be keeping the bus in my father in laws garage when done which is a huge relief as don't want it rusitng away again out in the elements......

yer we are then a few more pics of the current state of play plenty of primer on ready for flattening and then a top coat.

I may have to lower her to get her into the garage thinking of a RED9 set up on the front which seems straight forward....

IMG_3785.jpg

IMG_3783.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3770.jpg

Hot off the press, went to have a look at the bus earlier this week and this is how it looks.

499.jpg

Following pictures show the progress thereafter through this week......

504.jpg

531.jpg

537.jpg

538.jpg

541-1.jpg

Got to say I'm chuffed to bits, all the graft that I've put in with help and steer from mates and then all the top work that Clive and the lads at the spray shop have really turned this bus around. Really looking forward to popping windows in and getting her ship shape again ready for some summer sun :D

Cheers loxy it's certainly alot more solid than a couple of years back figured rather than sell and buy a better one I'd progress this early bay myself, that way you know what your getting etc. I'm looking forwqard to getting back on the road again now though.

Haveacamper the body shop is over in Lydney certainly would recommend them will pm you full detials so you can keep it in mind.

Just got back from a mates house been cleaning up the original trim strips that hold the Dormobile pop top canvass down. Spent about four hours sanding etc by hand the other night and made zero noticeable progress. Four hours tonight on the strips with a wire brush and air sander and they look mint. Will finnish off tommorow with a light sand and call it quits...

Going to take a look at the van again this week, spent last saturday fitting the engine back in and starting the headliner in the cab area. Could do with an idea of the length on the headliner rods if anyone can help would be greatful as made some new ones but think the template I used must have been off an old oval :? ah well.....

71Dormobile said:
Could do with an idea of the length on the headliner rods if anyone can help would be greatful as made some new ones but think the template I used must have been off an old oval :? ah well.....

if noone can come up trumps this week i'll try to remember to measure then on friday when i'm back down the van. i presume you are taking about the headliner in the cab area.

NaFe

Cheers Haveacamper that would be real helpful would a phot be OK so that I can get a guide....

PM's sent I'll check with the spray shop and fire up the detils on ere in the longer term.

Currently cleaning up bit to put back on the van, cleaning lock barrels, dormy roof parts hinges and also on the look out fore some new bits. Really struggling with the opening quarter lights chrome was shagged so stripped back to aluminium and polisehesd it up, not sure about it at the mo. Can't seem to get hold of a pair of nice opening quarterlights at the mo all I've seen has been RAF so will keep looking and polishing, maybe that I'll hgave to take the quartes back out at a later date....

Thinking of lowering still, either red 9, CE adjusters or T2D also back on the inrterior front need to crack on to get sorted for spring summer 09 :wink:

Latest posts