Advice needed.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

66nige

Reaction score
To cut a very long lowering story short........I've now arrived at the ride height and handling that i'm happy with but, and it's a big but....... theres that much bounce on the front its bordering on impossible to drive! :roll: I'm guessing that this would be improved with a set of decent adjustable dampers? If so, what do you guys run and recommend? Ride height eye to eye on damper is 300mm, so i'm guessing i need 60mm either side of this? i.e 240-360 or thereabouts
Cheers Nige

Front of my bus was very bouncy after I lowered it, I changed to KYB GR2 shocks or KYB Excel-G as they are called now. Made quite a difference. You can get them in 245/385mm from Machine 7.

madman said:
Front of my bus was very bouncy after I lowered it, I changed to KYB GR2 shocks or KYB Excel-G as they are called now. Made quite a difference. You can get them in 245/385mm from Machine 7.

Whats the ride like now madman? alot more sedate?

Depends why it is bouncy. It could be that you're at the limit of your ball joints, without knowing what your setup is. Might be worth posting up your spec and some pics to show how low you are so that people can advise if it is as simple as a shock change or problems with other parts fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah.....ok. The problem i have is if i use my transporterhaus dropped spindles with my beam at its highest setting its too low but if i use my standard spindles to get low on the beams lowest setting it bounces all over the road! :(

Did you pre tension the torsion springs? They should be set a different positions, if you just undo the adjusters they will both be the same

66nige said:
madman said:

Whats the ride like now madman? alot more sedate?

Smoother, not so bouncy, yet not too harsh either, plenty of bounce if needed.

So what is your current setup? Dropped spindles or not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davidoft said:
Did you pre tension the torsion springs? They should be set a different positions, if you just undo the adjusters they will both be the same

No i wasn't aware of this...... :(

Moseley said:
So what is your current setup? Dropped spindles or not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Currently on standard spindles but need to heighten the ride

Ok, so it sounds as though the location of your beam adjusters is causing all your issues. When running standard spindles, you're going to have to raise it up a bit if the ball joints are running out of travel (which I'm assuming they are from your description). If you want to keep the low ride but retain some suspension comfort, you will need to fit your flipped spindles, but by the sounds of it, will also need a new beam with adjusters in a more suitable location.

I had exactly the same problem recently, and am now fine-tuning my ride height / suspension settings (I've replaced my shocks with coilovers) so that I can have some suspension travel back again, but avoid the tyres touching the arches over bigger bumps.

There are a lot of variables, wheel offset and tyre sizes can limit available travel, narrowness of beam, using standard spindles... the list goes on.

Moseley said:
Ok, so it sounds as though the location of your beam adjusters is causing all your issues. When running standard spindles, you're going to have to raise it up a bit if the ball joints are running out of travel (which I'm assuming they are from your description). If you want to keep the low ride but retain some suspension comfort, you will need to fit your flipped spindles, but by the sounds of it, will also need a new beam with adjusters in a more suitable location.

I had exactly the same problem recently, and am now fine-tuning my ride height / suspension settings (I've replaced my shocks with coilovers) so that I can have some suspension travel back again, but avoid the tyres touching the arches over bigger bumps.

There are a lot of variables, wheel offset and tyre sizes can limit available travel, narrowness of beam, using standard spindles... the list goes on.

I've been under the bus today...... i've raised the ride height slightly, and followed davidoft's advice and pre tensioned the bottom leaves....... result, loads better.... no bounce at all, nice stable ride. Maybe not the height i'd prefer but it'll do for now.... not sure if it's the height adjustment or the pre tension thats made a difference though! :shock:

Latest posts