Advice on 71 brake calipers needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samson

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just joined up as iv'e recently acquired a 71 early bay, with the narrow 5 stud hubs. It needs a bit of playing about with but im getting there.

Been into aircooled for a while and had a van previously, along with a beach buggy so its all familiar ground.

Last week one of the front calipers started sticking on so ive had it apart and the piston is quite badly pitted. I was standing for a while last year prior to us buying it.

From looking around i understand the early bay calipers are a bit rare and not made anymore. I have seen the kit on the just kampers site for using the late bay calipers. Is this a good way to go if you need to replace the calipers?

The previous owners has also cut and welded the front beam to lower it, and the long term intention is to get a replacement beam to bring it back to standard height. I was planning on buying a late beam as they're more common so the JK kit looks ideal to me as i can then still use the late calipers. Only snag is the price, can anybody think of a cheaper way of replacing the caliper than £200?

A replacement piston would be ideal, but i've not been able to find any anywhere, and the rebuild kits only seem to include the seals.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

p.s. my calipers have 2 bleed nipples, if this is of any use?

Many thanks

the 2 bleed nipples just means its a second generation 71/72 caliper identical in all other ways....

if you want to go late bay brakes then second hand calipers are easily available and the fitting kit is merely a set of spacers to offset the centre line of the brakes.... JK sell the adapters for about 20 notes from memory...

I had the same problem last year and bought a second hand pair off someone on here and recond them. they work alright. but if I had known you could could get spaces to use later ones as araon says that would be the best bet to fit brand new later ones. the parts are much cheaper and more available. simples!

Thanks for the help guys. And thanks for whoever moved the thread. I search for a technical section but couldn't see it, i must be blind. Sincere apologies for that.

I'm either going to go for:

Option A - source second hand 71 calipers
Option B - Source second hand late calipers and buy JK adapter kit
Option C - Buy JK new calipers and fitting kit

Choice will probably depend on which is the cheapest. I dont mind rebuilding a second hand set, but i dare say the cost of a second hand set may not be too much cheaper than the new set from JK.

I shall keep you all updated with my progress.

reconditioned 71 and new late calipers available here:

http://www.customandcommercial.com/products.aspx?Sub_Category=1236&Category=413&group=61" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

always had good service from them

We've used the JK kit a few times on 71 & 72 buses were the calipers are beyond repair and it works really well and means replacements pads etc and spares are easier in the future. Looking at the price of the recon ones from C&C you can get a pair of new ATE calipers from Machine 7 or JK for the same money. The only thing to watch is you ideally need longer bolts than your standard ones as the top hat on the adaptors take up some of the thread, from memory you M12 x 40mm.

ahh. dredging this one up.
I'm entering the financial world of pain that is seized calipers on a '71.
My garage dealt me the bad news yesterday - i knew something was up as i could feel them binding for the last year or two, but as I don't use the bus often enough its just got worse and worse. culminating in total overheating on the motorway and a very hair moment on the slip road coming off... :shock:
I'm not flush at the moment and the prices of re-con caliper are freaking me out!
What does a rebuild/re-con of a caliper entail? I guess if its seized then getting into it will be tough to start with..? I'm wondering if maybe I get garage to remove and I spend an evening with a can of de-greaser and drop them back in the morning I could save myself an hour or two labour..? am I in cuckoo land!?!?
Got a big trip to Hay festival beginning of June, so gotta get on with it but reluctant to let my pocket take the brunt. specially as i need to buy a new awning too :(
Pricey start to the summer.

anyway just thought I'd punt it out there for any previous advice / have a little rant about owning a one-year-only model!

db

See my post above, fit late bay ones with the adapters from JK, means you get 2 new calipers for the cost of 1 reconditioned one. Don't skimp on the brakes!

agree on the fact that they HAVE to be sorted!
definitely looks cheaper to fit the adapter kit over re-cons from vwheritage / c&c etc but at 200 quid though, I'm wondering if giving them a good clean up / re-furb will do the job. or is it quite a tricky/time consuming job.
I guess i could fit the new kit, and still clean up the old ones in my own time and maybe even get my money back by selling them on??

Related question, hope this is OK...are there any aftermarket "upgrade" brake kits available for the 71 that are worthwhile? Like larger, vented rotors and 3 pot calipers or something? Always see them for splitties but not for 71 EB?

Latest posts