After market shifters

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Nick

Reaction score
Hi all just purchased my first bay (I have Seen the Light) after years of Dub ownership nay thoughts on after market shifters, want to improve the porridge stirring that is otherwise known as gear selection. I was thinking of a Hurst style EMPI shifter any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

i have a CSP one on mine , it rocks , my brother in law has a Scat one for sale if you fancy it PM me if you like :wink:

Just to add to the mix (no pun intended in reference to gear selection) I like my stock gearstick. It makes changing gear more like exercise as I have to reach forward to find first and third :D

You have to follow the instuctions supplied to the tee.

Not cheap but worth it.

Big Nick said:
Hi all just purchased my first bay (I have Seen the Light) after years of Dub ownership nay thoughts on after market shifters, want to improve the porridge stirring that is otherwise known as gear selection. I was thinking of a Hurst style EMPI shifter any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

I would be tempted to sort out the original linkage first if it's that bad,you could have worn bushes underneath which need sorting first.Otherwise you'll still be stiring porridge with your new shifter too!

Don't get the empi one because when its in first gear, it gets in the way of the handbrake! You have to put it in 3rd gear so you can get the handbrake on properly!

You can't beat a scat dragfast Nick. I just like the clunkieness of the shift. Looks much better than hurst/empi too!

change the shifter plate that sits underneath the original shifter (costs about £5), fixed my gear shifter issue and blocked reverse so you have to push the lever down to get reverse.

boatbuilder said:
Don't get the empi one because when its in first gear, it gets in the way of the handbrake! You have to put it in 3rd gear so you can get the handbrake on properly!

I'll second that - makes hill starts a pain!

Grazy said:
i have a CSP one on mine , it rocks , my brother in law has a Scat one for sale if you fancy it PM me if you like :wink:

Still here Nick if you want it . I have one guy after it but i did offer itt to you first dude :wink: Let Me Know 8)

Araon said:
Ah the old I have someone waiting on the sidelines line ...go on son pile on that pressure :lol:

Sod off Aaron I have it`s true honest Guv`nr :)

Grazy said:
Araon said:
Ah the old I have someone waiting on the sidelines line ...go on son pile on that pressure :lol:

Sod off Aaron I have it`s true honest Guv`nr :)

At this rate i'll end up buying it. My locking berg shifter is some where in Texas waiting shipping via a friend. I paid for it ages ago and got a feeling it won't ever turn up.

Mike

I've fitted a CSP shifter to my EB, it is great. and looks good too 8)

No more stretching, especialy with the og static belts :D

faux said:
I've fitted a CSP shifter to my EB, it is great. and looks good too 8)

No more stretching, especialy with the og static belts :D

Ill second that Faux well happy with mine 8)

Thanks for the info guys and the offer of the Dragfast, guess the Empi shifter is off the cards and the Scat shifter aint quite my style, would love a Berg shifter (which was top of my list) however I have just checked out the price!!!! Would like more info on the CSP effort though, piccies, install advice etc.

Many thanks guys!!

Latest posts