Air shock questiom

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbmx

Reaction score
I have read that you can preload your front axle to help with the raising, which in turn gives you more lift. My question is, how do you preload your front axle?

Yes you can and I have, you will need an adjustable beam, simpley set one adjuster higher than the other.

Yes i have and adjustable beam. This may sound dumb, but which tube is best to adjust, bottom or top, and in which direction?
Thanks

I have put the pre load on the top tube and I have a as much as I could get on it, it depends on what sort of ride you want, what air shocks you are using how much PSI you use in them etc.

Direction wise the lower tube is adjusted down (raising the van) and the top one all they way up lowering the van.

From memory I think the lower one is about 2-4 splines from its lowest as the steering damper prevents it going any lower unless i change the locking nut on the adjuster.

I have Gabriel shocks and I can only lift the front about 5cm at 180psi. on the Rear with the same psi I get about double that. I will try and fiddle with the adjusters this weekend :D Thanks for the help Sam

Are you running air shocks on the back? What other changes have you made or have you simply lowered it and then added the air shocks?

No changes really. The back is lowered with bomerang plates and one spline, while the front is on a standard width knl beam with adjusters and dropped spindles. I have 20 litre tank and viair compressor. I basically went with the air shocks so that I can lift it when I need clearence. If the shocks fail I can still drive it normally.

I also have the Gabriel's 49230 is the model number from memory.
I'm not sure how much more lift you will get without fitting lift arms, plus you could go another 20PSI as Gabriel's are 200PSI shocks.
I currently have lift arms fitted and the beam set quite low, I get 11cm of lift at 200PSI, with 40PSI in the shocks the bus is sat on the wheel arch tubs.
Hope this helps

That's a big help, I wasn't planning on dropping it any more (maybe half an inch on the back to level it out) but I could do with raising it up occasionally to get in and out of places and the occassional speed bump.

Am I right in thinking you drive around with it at it's lowest setting and then jsut use the air to lift, or do you lift a little, knowing if they fail you can still drive it ok......

Sorry for the questions.

What would the shopping list be?

Compressor
20l tank
4 x shocks
Piping
2 x gauges
2 x switches

Np, I ask questions too. That's how you learn :) I haven't driven my van much since the setup, but from what i have I am very happy. It rides great. Basically i drive it on 100 psi front and and 75 back, which gives a small rise and acts as shock absorbers.
WHen stopped you just let the air out and it drops. Before the air shocks i used to drive it as is, but after scraping the bottom on a couple of speed bumps and my girlfriend wining :lol: I decided to upgrade.

My set up is as follows:

Front :Gabriel Air Shocks Extended 16.35" and Compressed 10.75"( very close to a standard shock)
Back :Gabriel Air Shocks Extended 21.66" Compressed 13.24"

Compressor : Single Viair 444C Air Compressor( Believe me its worth every penny. Don't waste your money on anything else. Trust me, I have :x )

I bought the shocks and compressor from ebay.com.

20 liter tank bought locally (Most truck shops will have them. Just check for psi rating)
3 toggle switches, one main power and two for up and down.
2 gauges
Various air connections and fitting air pipe. I went for the push-fot ones, a bit more expensive but very easy to use.
4 solenoid valves ( bought locally from truck parts supplier, dont' get the ebay cheap ones, they are shit )
Thick wire, connectors and an external fuse.

And that's pretty much it :lol:

Thanks for that, out of interest, what's the difference in height between parked and the 100psi driving pressure?

Who was the seller on e-bay that the shocks came from ?

The van sits about an inch higher at those psi levels.

This is a link to one of the pair I bought. He doesn't use the codes but measurents. His name is wkhd312

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1979-VW-Volkswagon-Gabriel-Air-Shocks-Ext-16-35-Compressed-10-75-/360714601134?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53fc4402ae&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To ensure the shocks were the right size would I best off whipping off a shock that's on there and measuring it 'in' and 'out' or measuring between the bolting positions(amybe substracting 1/2" as I might bring the old girl down another 1/2"

That's what I did. With the shock of and the bus on the ground, and with a lot if greif( getvunder a lowered bus is not easy without ramps :lol: ) measure from top to bottom shock mounts, then I calculated the best size for my application

Thanks Buddy, hoping to give it a bit of a makeover over the Winter

can you run gabriels upside down? only ask as i have a set id like to use on my bug and theyl fit alot better upside down cheers

Latest posts