Alternator siezed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGC

Reaction score
Broke down on Saturday :( van made a screeching noise then stopped. I tried to rotate the flywheel by hand but couldn't budge it. Thought the engine was seized. Then I removed the belt and she started fine. The screeching must have been the belt slipping over the pulley. I think the alternator is seized or could it be the fan??? Cant rotate the pulley wheel on the alternator. Luckily I was only a couple of hundred yards from home so was able to drive home without the fan and without overheating. Has any one else experienced this fault? do you think its time for a new alternator or can the existing one be refurbished. Look forward to your replies.

Mine was on the way out this year so replaced it, front bearings gone on mine but someone on here put a post up of how they replaced the bearings, cost about £13 i think - will have ago at my old one when i get it to the top of the list :msn4:

Replacing the bearings is a piece of cake. I got mine from Volksgoods - excellent service and they know their beans.

http://www.volksgoods.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That said, if you got yours to seize, chances are it'll be harder to rebuild - worth dismantling and seeing what's melted!

Latest posts