Another import question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittlestHobo

Reaction score
Sorry guys couldn't find an answer in previous posts I searched for so here it goes, apologies if it’s a repeat...

I am importing a bus and am looking at the obvious Vat problem. Now, after much searching on internet I phoned HMRC tariff classification helpline, told them I was importing a classic vehicle what was i supposed to do to get the correct tax relief.

The guy asked me a few questions about the vehicle and then gave me a commodity code that entitled me to pay 5% tax.

I then read quite a lot about BTI, so called HMRC again and asked if this was required and that I'd already been given a commodity code, she said that the BTI was not necessarily required, was it over 30 years old and meeting the criteria she asked, if so it should be fine.

So my question is what happens if I don't apply for BTI? but just use the 5% code on the shipping forms?

Cheers
Simon

You'll need to apply for BTI, commodity codes are for commercial importers not private individuals. I think you'll end up paying the 20% VAT rate without BTI. I've found the VAT helplines tell you lots of different things depending who you ring.

Simon - Just got my BTi confirmation (5%) through yesterday :D - took nearly 6 weeks, so i would suggest getting the form off to them asap if its on its way over. Mines due in next week.

If you need any help drop me a PM. Only done it once but more than happy to send you a copy to help completing. Dale (Rallye Dale) did the same for me.
Ross.

rpp123456 said:
Simon - Just got my BTi confirmation (5%) through yesterday :D - took nearly 6 weeks, so i would suggest getting the form off to them asap if its on its way over. Mines due in next week.

If you need any help drop me a PM. Only done it once but more than happy to send you a copy to help completing. Dale (Rallye Dale) did the same for me.
Ross.

:D

Bet you cant wait

Yeah takes forever so make sure you get your BTI application in. As said before, HMRC tell you different things depending on what time of day it is and what they've had for lunch. It actually takes longer for the ruling on BTI than it does to ship a bus over from the US, so I've had to pay 20% up front and hope that it qualifies. Not holding my breath but I'll let you know when I find out, which should be before 11th October so I was told a month ago!!!!

Cheers chaps, my bus is due 26th October...only 21 days 23 hours and 8 minutes to go!!

If anyone could send me through a completed BTI that would be fantastic, it makes no sense to me and the guide that comes with it is as 'bout as much use as a marzipan dildo

I think I phoned them up and asked them to talk me through it as I did it. I remember asking people for help, and should really have photocopied mine before I sent it for reference, but to be honest I just wanted to forget about it. Sorry.

Best bet is to phone them up, they are pretty helpful

i may be wrong but i think you need it approved before it docks

I pasted this as answered another post earlier, but maybe useful in the future :-

a few tips for you Beef from someone whos owned a freight forwarding company and
has direct hmrc links for customs clearances at all ports now and for the last 20 years
I have been doing customs clearances from the age of 17 and thats tooooo long

anyways
HMRC post change there duty rapayment office all the time so below is there current
duty repayment address for 285's

National Duty Repayment Centre
Priory Court
St Johns Road
Dover
Kent
CT17 9SH

Make sure you enclose the following along with your 285

the import C88 entry
the E2 generated print (import entry acceptance advice)
A copy of all the documents regarding the import (ie invoice for the bus etc)
copy of the BTI
and write a letter explaining very clearly what you want doing/refunding

cheers
potts

BTW, most clearance agents would declare the 5% rate regardless of BTI if requested
(its only 1 code on the c88 makeup), BUT officially a BTI is required as officially you
need to put the reference number they approve it under in box 44 of the c88 !

The comm code is used by anybody (private included) to identify the goods being imported
(the commodity tarrif is like 5 telephone deirectories thick) and has a rate of duty / vat
applicable to that said commodity.
To claim preferences regardless of private / commercial you need to code the C88 entry up
accordingly, this overides the GENERAL rate to that comm code. simples !

link for BTI details
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageOnlineServices_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_001087&propertyType=document" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will post link tomorrow for the application form as you cant readily get it very easily !

heres the illusive BTI application form for you
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/resources/documents/bti_application_form_en.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts