Awning for VW Camper

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brenchk

Reaction score
In the market to buy an awning for a 1970 Bay Dormobile.

I need a family awning for holidays and wondered if anyone had any suggestions before I plump for the Justkampers offering. I want something which is easy to put up!

Thanks,

Kevan

i have found out(4 kids now) that i like one with a sewn in groundsheet and we are just about to get are new tent and its a kayam one.

Yep, what they said.

Khyam awnings are brilliant, you can get it up by yourself in about 2 minutes then sit back and crack open a beer and get someone else to put the pegs in, after all you've done the difficult bit (not!) :lol:

Ive got the new JK spacemaker and its brill! 8) I think a Kyam would be better for a family tho as you can get them bigger.

Can reccomend the spacemaker, have been on the top of a hill in a gale and it held out fine, where many collapsed
thud.gif

I never thought I would say it after the crap that was the JK Berlin (IMHO) but JK Spacemaker is the one for me. straight forward to put up, looks fine and is strong. we had a fiamma john cotton before that and that last 4 years.

Also considering a Awning, the wife has announced that when (if) the camper is on the road for august then were going to a family wedding at Dartmoor then camping for the week in or around Cornwall.
Where is the best place to buy an awning, would really like to see one first before buying on spec

froggy said:
Also considering a Awning, the wife has announced that when (if) the camper is on the road for august then were going to a family wedding at Dartmoor then camping for the week in or around Cornwall.
Where is the best place to buy an awning, would really like to see one first before buying on spec

if you get to one of the summer shows, there's usually JK (with their spacemaker) and Fishbrain (Mark with Khyams) set up for you to see

Cheers think the only show that we'll make this year is http://www.devadubshow.co.uk/ its local and its one of the only shows where i'm not actually working the weekend that its on. Oh and also its local

We have the JK one that is a tunnel with an inner tent and sewn in ground sheet.
It does the job well enough but is a 2 person job to put up. I have a luggage padlock with a wire that attaches so i can 'lock' the inner tent zips together. Just a deterent really but we have our food and grifters in there!

I have seen quite a few camping/caravan shops in the south that have tents and awnings set up all year around one of them is even indoors! :shock:
There must be something like that opp north.

http://www.camping-intl.com/home/default.asp

I went for the Khyam Family cause you can put it up alone, with kids running about trying to keep an eye on them & putting up a tent it leads to arguments :roll: !!!!!

Heres ours, plenty of room................

Picture022-2.jpg

froggy said:
Out of curiousity what did you pay for the kyham family and where from?

Got it from here last year http://www.campershop.co.uk/awnings.htm#khyam_motor_dome_family

CB

Got my Kyham from Fishbrain, the service was brilliant and it arrived two days from ordering. Thing is im still waiting for a decent couple of days so that i can get away in it and try it on the van. I put it up in the garden to try it and im not sure if thiers any way to secure the tunnel to van bit down when your away from it so it dosn't flap about. any ideas anyone :?

when you pull the awning down from the van you will see that you leave the long heavy central bit to just fall and then you can roll the 2 sides to the poles at the side. it's all very tidy

Thanks to everyone for their responses and the overwhelming feedback on the Kyham Family. I have just placed an order through campershop.co.uk and look forward to putting it to good use... assuming the weather sorts it self out soon... Cheers, Kevan

i got a little postcard size flyer from JK advertising the new and improved Spacemaker. It looks pretty cool, colour coded poles with the corresponding holes in the tent seams stitched in the same colour, and a decent size inner tent.

I'm not a big fan of JK as i think they got a bad rap from selling shitty seals. I've bought the odd camping implement but im seriously tempted by the offer as it comes with a free table set or a windbraker and mallet worth about £50!

The awning itself looks easy enough to put up (i dont like using the word erect) with round poles and simple design. Has anyone got one?

Latest posts