battery issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobie

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Devon
what's everyone running 75Ah or 45Ah

i've been running a 45Ah but find i need to replace every 2 years so thinking of going heavy duty

opinions please

Lobie

Hi Lobie, exactly what Wiggy says ^^^ above. Maybe instead of a mains charger, perhaps a tiny dashboard type solar charger just to keep it trickle charged to maximum , but I’m guessing you’d need something to stop it over charging :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,just thinking out loud. :mrgreen:

obviously it doesn't get used over the winter, what if i disconnect the battery when it is laid up. the rest of the time it is started daily

lobie said:
obviously it doesn't get used over the winter, what if i disconnect the battery when it is laid up. the rest of the time it is started daily

The battery will still need to be charged whether it's connected or not, leaving a lead acid battery in a discharged state is what kills it.

Plus starting it daily is maybe helping to kill your batteries if they’re not getting a chance to stay charged, because that’s the condition that they’ll last longer in.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, they’ll last longer if kept charged :mrgreen:

That's right, it takes about 45 minutes to recharge the battery after starting.
And it doesn't help your engine if you only run it for a couple of minutes. It needs to warm up throughly otherwise the choke won't come off and you'll fill it full of condensation mayonnaise.

Heavy duty or not it will still fail if not used. Why not just take it for a drive now and again, will keep the battery in good health, keep the engine sweet and stop the brakes sticking etc. That’s what I’ve always done with my vw’s and never had an issue.

... also guaranteed to briefly put a smile on your face during those winter months [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts