Battery light staying on bright

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started and drove my bus for the first time this year and after 10+ miles and about 5 miles from home my battery warning light came on and stayed on, solid no flickering. Luckily I was at a friends house and I drove the 5 miles home after giving the battery a hour's charge to top it up. No dramas.

Once home I checked the voltage across the battery whilst engine running and it was 12.78v, with engine off it was also 12.78v, so alternator not charging.

Are there any simple checks I can make myself to help determine what needs fixing?

Any recommendations for a good auto electrician in the Gloucestershire/Cheltenham area who can have a look?

Also, how far do you reckon I could drive with the engine running total loss?

Just check the voltage (engine off) at the large terminal (battery +) on the alternator just to see if you have continuity. I drove all the way across Sweden and from the ferry to Malvern in my Dodge on the same fully charged battery from start. It was flat as the next morning!! The alternator died when driving in Stockholm.

OK so I reckon the alt is dead - just remembered noticing a slight burning smell when I was standing near the rear, just before the light came on - I opened the lid to check, nothing seemed wrong so ignored it assuming it was coming from something else nearby.

So question is, which new alternator to buy? JK has them for £190, are they any good? I don't want to install one that will let me down.
Also do I need any other parts to fit it?

[edit] Booked it into JMS Garage Services in Cheltenham for 29th - not used them before, but they looks after a handful of local classics and get good reviews.

Cheers
Andy

Last edited:
If yours is a genuine Bosch, I’d personally take it to an auto electrician and see if they can rebuild it. If it isn’t, I’d look for a Bosch as a replacement. The cheapo unbranded ones tend to not be serviceable if any components fail.

I’d stick to a new Bosch if you’ve the cash and while I’m at it I’d up it from 55amp to at least a 70 amp or even higher because then I’d last longer because it wouldn’t work as hard

The last shop installed a new Empi alternator in my bus about 20k ago. It works fine. Bosch is not always the answer.

Last edited:
The last shop installed new Empi alternator in my bus about 20k ago. It works fine. Bosch is not always the answer.
No your right Bosch is NOT always the answer I agree but if I’ve got it canga, moolah or the dosh? Then it’s Bosch for me but again I don’t always have the bank balance for it all the time so yeh I agree

I got a 70 amp from JK about 10 years ago ( have a dual charging and leisure battery) still going strong!!

Andy, let me have your old alternator afterwards and let me have a play with it. I might be able to sort something,, repeat might,, then we could have a handy spare.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,maybe :ROFLMAO: :) :ROFLMAO:

What I’m thinking is that if I can wiggle it about and look in / at the brushes etc and maybe into the regulator then spin him up with next to no expenditure then maybe we could have an Earlybay spare to get peeps back on the road until they can sort their own..

Ozziedog,,,,,,and if you take the UN out of what you said, that’ll be wot you got. :unsure: All

Latest posts