Ben's 72 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s good it wasn’t anything serious. It is frustrating. I’ve got my engine from the engine shop, not got a great deal of confidence with it yet as the bottom of the case is badly corroded and when I bought the engine, they said it would take the minimum of 2 weeks before I get it. I received it 3 days later, so quite suspicious lol. I too put a new loom in mine and ready to put the engine in. I have bought new of everything, so hopefully it’ll run. I’ve never thought of putting my build on here and just created an Instagram account for my build as I get so many people wanting to see pictures
I like to blog about my car builds just as much for me to look back and appreciate how far I’ve come with it!

Engine ran perfectly on the way to Bromsgrove Trimmers yesterday and sat at 70 happily on the motorway for an hour.
Let’s hope things go smoothly from here on in!

You may get some informed comments if you put the engine build on here as well as the ‘gram.
What’s your instagram name?
Thanks Mike.
I’ve only got the business insta account and haven’t posted anything about the bus on my personal account.
You are probably right, but I’ll leave it all on here for now 👍

Early start this morning to get to Bromsgrove Trimmers, 3 hours on the train, but all went well!
Interior looks ace! super happy with it:

IMG_3237.jpg
IMG_3235.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg
IMG_3238.jpg

I'm booked back in later in the year to get the headlining done, once I've cleaned up the roof and removed the hammocks etc.
Have to say - the guys at Bromsgrove Trimmers were an absolute delight to deal with, a real pleasure.
Pete is a master of his art and nothing is too much trouble - thoroughly recommend them!
http://www.bromsgrovetrimshop.co.uk
Now to get on and enjoy it for the summer 🙌🙌🙌

Looking just stunning! A lot of work has gone into the details. I really like the fabric too. We’ll done Bromsgrove Trimmers!
They did a great job, am really pleased with the results.
Big step forwards. First time in my ownership it’s had modern 3 point seat belts front and back so all the family can enjoy together.

Looks great, very nice interior. 😀

Are you getting an infill cushion for the spare wheel well when you sleep in it?
Thanks Mike 👍
Yep! Spare wheel would go up on the recently installed front roof rack, then the cover in the rear upper locker, which is where the infill cushion will live until needed.
B133BA23-425E-4BA4-B175-2878D64E486E.jpeg
02A21A39-CEA9-4127-BD17-46188386F387.jpeg

A familiar view to many on here...
Installed the blue and yellow Bilstein shocks from Type2Detectives.
I’m expecting a huge difference as not one of the four that came off had ANY rebound at all!
I could compress each one by hand and then they stayed compressed!
7D50BC64-D888-41F2-938F-54FC2AC9F2A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Not a big surprise to say that it now drives much better 😁
Considerably less crashy!

I’m sure the bus actually sits a bit higher now compared to having no shocks before!

Main aim for fitting the new loom is that I had been in line at the VW Engine Company for an upgrade.
Out with the old 1300/ 1600 hybrid

and in with a 1776, Weber 40 IDF carb kit including bell crank linkage, coupled with a Freeway Flyer!

Didn't make any sense to me to install the new engine on the old loom which had all sorts of oddities and additions within it! Smoke coming off piggyback spade connections and all sorts, including the need to flick 2 switches that had been added to the dash in order for the ignition to work!
Hi, Ben72Bay, sounds like you have made a great job of your Bay and I have duly noted.😄
I too have bought a Bay 73 but I am at the very early stages of gathering information.
I would just like to take this opportunity to thank all of you guys for sharing your thoughts and experiences here. "Great Forum".
I will also be doing this when I get going.
Thanks again.
Here is a snip it. Below.

Attachments

• 20201007_152801.jpg
    20201007_152801.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

Latest posts