Ben's 72 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so...!
I've had this awning project in my head since buying the bus.
have done so much research into what others have done and recently I treated myself and bought one!
3.6m Fiamma.

Taken a bit of planning but finally finished installing it today

IMG_0662.JPG
IMG_0658.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG

Had to fabricate a way to mount it so I bought a roof rack just for the two main metal bows (obviously they came in silver so I had to spray them white quickly! as did the C rail!). One at the back and one fitted through my existing front rack.
Then I bought a 6m length of stainless box section, cut it to 4M and then the remaining length in half.
Got those welded together and then also made up some thick brackets to strengthen everything.
Lots of stainless fixings later and bolted the awning C rail to the main construction at this point:
hardest part was drilling it all - cobalt bits for the win and lots of lube!
IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0659.JPG
IMG_0660.JPG
and we are done! clears the pop top with about 10mm gap.
Super strong construction. fitted bungs to the ends of the box section.
Be nice to neaten up the end of the C section somehow and also make it less pinchable!
IMG_0663.jpeg

Overall it is pretty much how I imagined it. haven't even had a chance to unroll the awning yet as had to get back to work and the bus is currently stored away from home so had to get back.
I wanted it all fitted into time for taking the family camping next week and then for the camp out at Dubs at the Castle 😁

Last edited:
First time sleeping out in the bus since owning it.
Really enjoyable experience.
Me on the main RR bed and eldest son in the pop top.
So worth all that time, money and effort to insulate everything during the rebuild.
It was cosy and warm and the temp was well controlled.
IMG_0748.jpeg

Watched a film in the pop top while it rained outside!
IMG_0751.jpeg

Set up the awning for the first time.
Need to buy the centre pole and make backing plates for each of the three mounting points for the poles. So will get that done soon.
Awning gives loads of cover and a great asset. Can add walls in the future to create another room.
IMG_0758.jpeg
Overall a great test run!

First time sleeping out in the bus since owning it.
Really enjoyable experience.
Me on the main RR bed and eldest son in the pop top.
So worth all that time, money and effort to insulate everything during the rebuild.
It was cosy and warm and the temp was well controlled.
View attachment 8407

Watched a film in the pop top while it rained outside!
View attachment 8408

Set up the awning for the first time.
Need to buy the centre pole and make backing plates for each of the three mounting points for the poles. So will get that done soon.
Awning gives loads of cover and a great asset. Can add walls in the future to create another room.
View attachment 8409
Overall a great test run!
Looking great, well done.
Does the awning make much noise/whissle when driving

Look fallward to seeing it a DATC.

Latest posts