Bent steering "arm" ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huyrob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I had Litesteer fitted last year ( and it's great ) Neil mentioned that my steering arm was bent. ( not sure if arm is the correct term )
Not had any problems and just passed mot. Not done anything about it as other things new engine etc took priority.
Looked at it today and it is certainly bent.
I want to change it and wonder :-
1. Is it a steering arm ?
2. Who is best supplier ?
3. Is it a job I could do myself and what is involved. It seems that the arm has adjustment thread, is the adjustment critical.
Any pointers would be much appreciated.
It is a 1971 lhd Westy.
Dave

That is a track rod - personally, I would buy a new one and wouldn’t risk the work hardening that will be further exacerbated by trying to straighten it. Not to mention the threads may be stretched / compressed at the point where the track rod end screws into it. These resist a lot of compression and extension loading in use, having it not straight is a bit risky in case it folded with a big shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to you both for the replies.
I think I will replace it . Is it likely to be difficult breaking the joints ?
I will probably have to straighten it to compare the correct adjusted length.

Get the tracking checked , if its out it will scrub out your tyres and may make the steering pull to one side.

Davi ^^^is spot on as usual :mrgreen: get your wheel alignment checked or do it yourself with two bits of string. Parallel them from the sides of both rear wheels to going past the front two wheels . Get them spot on or just slightly pidgeon toed and the world is your onion, it should be just slightly toed in :mrgreen: If it takes you more than an hour then you’re hopeless, after a couple of goes it’s a ten to twenty minute chore :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, unless there is Stella or Fosters involved :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies.
I did about 5000 miles last year after Neil advised me. No excessive tyre wear and no pull on steering. I will check the tracking though after new track rod fitted

Latest posts